ksoul2084

Re: Battery Ageing Model

oldpueblo wrote:The intent of the test was to ignore the GOM and get real world values at two different freeway speeds as well as use ODB2 to check the battery temp difference between them. Spoiler, the battery temps at a constant 75-80 were much higher and I could see that wrecking the battery more.
Out of curiosity, what were your observed battery temps at 80mph vs 65mph, and what was the outside temp during each?
JejuSoul

-
oldpueblo - your testing is interesting and informative. However it isn't going to help us much. All cars in Arizona fail. The daytime temperatures in Phoenix are too high for the battery to survive without active liquid cooling.

In more temperate climates the old Soul EVs do not all fail.
My 2015 has done 75,000km shows 185 km range, and still has an SOH of 96%.
-----

At the 75,000km service official Kia GDS shows SOH of 96%.
Torque shows

----
Another example from the Netherlands.
ZuinigeRijder wrote:...This morning I left with 100% and 155 km range...
...my SOH is around 91% with 133,500 km driven (6 years old) ...
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.
Omar

Hello,
Can anyone with quite a low mileage/high soh post a cell map at any low state of charge ? Like under 5% SOC. It will be helpful for me.
My cell voltages are 3.42 and the car shows 1% SOC.
THANKS
JejuSoul

-

In temperate climates not all original 27kWh Soul EVs fail.
My 2015 has done 82,000km shows 175 km range, and still has an SOH of 96%.

In hot climate zones many of the original 27kWh Soul EVs began failing years ago.
Now it seems even in Norway many are starting to fail.

Here's a 2015 Kia Soul 27kWh degradation test by Bjorn Nyland in Norway.
This car has driven 73,239km. He measures the SOH by doing a range test and assuming the energy consumption figures are accurate.
Not the best way to do this but it won't be far off. 13C temperatures is also slightly cooler than the optimal for testing range.
He guesses 20.9kWh left of the 27kWh original user capacity which is SOH = 77%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBmVf225ROQ

--------------------------------

Update - A year later, June 2022. Bjorn has done many more of these degradation tests.
In Norway it seems the 2015 Soul EV's lasted 4 years longer than elsewhere, but ultimately they failed there too.

also see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdI3PkZ_cV8

-
Last edited by JejuSoul on Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.
JejuSoul

-
There is one outlier to all the battery failures talked about in this thread my blue car is still doing fine.

My blue car is now 7 years old, has driven about 94,000km, and still has the original battery. The official KIA estimate of SOH is 94.9%.
Here's the latest Torque reading. This is from original battery with original BMS. No upgrades to reset the data or alter the algorithm.

Here's the navi display when last charged to 100% SOC.

Here is a chart of the battery deterioration measured against distance.

For my car the battery deterioration has not been linear. It began fast but after 40,000km has slowed down.
Going back 7 years to the first page of this thread; this curve is what I hoped would happen for most of our cars. It did not.
Presumably KIA hoped for this too, because in reality the battery deterioration was often much worse and the cost to KIA of all the battery replacements under warranty must be enormous.

There is some info on my other car here - Analysis of a replacement battery.
-
ZuinigeRijder

JejuSoul wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:55 pm For my car the battery deterioration has not been linear. It began fast but after 40,000km has slowed down.
I have sold my Kia Soul EV previous year (7 years old too) in July 2021 (replaced with IONIQ 5) when there was 145000 km on the odometer with still 91% SOH.

Code: Select all

Date         km     SOH(KDS)   Avg Det    Max Det     Min Det 
13-7-2021   145133   91.2        17.3       19.3        15.2 

Return to “Technical Discussions”