Good news for buying used in non-compliant state

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLKiaEV

So I am going to buy a 2016 Soul EV+ soon (probably next week or two), but I was worried about getting service if I needed it because I live in a non-compliance state (Florida). I called around and it turns out I had nothing to worry about: Two Kia dealerships near me I contacted said that they actually offer service, including warranty stuff. So, if you're thinking of buying but have this worry in the back of your mind, you're fine!

This is my first post. I hope to have many others as I've been DYING to buy an EV for years now but couldn't swing the price on a brand new one. I was also worried about not having hundreds of miles of range, but review after review after review on YouTube and other places has shown me that this is not really something to be concerned with. I live about 10 miles from my job and the only place I visit from time to time is my parents' house about 40 miles away: Well within range. And I am SOOOO done with repairs once or twice a year on my ICE car.

Anyway, just thought I would share the information above in case anyone is concerned about this: Just call or text a few of your local dealerships to see if they do service if you live in a non-compliance state.

Russell

Congrats on your purchase!

I have also found that recalls and general warranty work can be done at any Kia dealer -- not just "EV authorized" ones. But it can take some extra work on my part. Just recently I called my local Kia dealer's service dept, asking if they would handle the latest Soul EV recall work regarding Park transmission issue. They said they would NOT. So I called Kia Customer Care national call, and they called the dealer, saying the work was OK to do, and then I was able to get the work done.

IanL said:
Help out an ignorant Brit - what is a non-compliant state in this context?
I'm Canadian so I'm not an expert, but I'll give 'er a go. Whereas most countries have national standards, U.S. standards can vary state-by-state. So-called "CARB States" are California and about a dozen other states that have joined them in enforcing higher automobile standards. Then there are so-called "ZEV States" that has signed onto the Zero Emission Vehicle mandate that essentially requires automakers to sell EVs. While the ZEV programme is run by CARB, I believe it's possible for a state to join ZEV even if it doesn't sign on to CARB.

If you hear an American YouTuber talking about "compliance cars", they're talking about an automaker that releases a car that no one (including the automaker) is very excited about, but they're doing it to be compliant with ZEV and/or CARB standards rather than trying to actually make any money with it.

So some automakers sell their electric cars in every state. Others may sell e-cars only in CARB States. Still others may sell e-cars only in ZEV States (which is a smaller list than CARB). Kia, as of last I knew, sold the Niro EV only in ZEV states, and has stopped selling the Soul EV anywhere in the U.S. Meanwhile, both are widely sold just across the border in Canada.

So like I say, I'm not an expert, but I *think* the OP was talking about a state that's not compliant with CARB and/or ZEV, based on what they said.

Wikipedia on CARB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...andards#California_Air_Resources_Board_(CARB)

Wikipedia on ZEV: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Air_Resources_Board#Zero-Emission_Vehicle_Program

Well, in fact they are not widely available in Canada either. They are sold in Quebec, Ontario, and British Columbia only as far as I am aware. Same reasons, these provinces enacted initiatives to compel the sale of EVs in their jurisdictions.

ksoul2084 said:
Well, in fact they are not widely available in Canada either. They are sold in Quebec, Ontario, and British Columbia only as far as I am aware. Same reasons, these provinces enacted initiatives to compel the sale of EVs in their jurisdictions.
But in the U.S. they're only sold in ZEV states, ones that actually have a framework in place to attempt to COMPEL their sales. In Canada, they're sold in places that have incentives, but lack the compulsory aspect. So there's still a difference there. Also, those three provinces happen to be the three most populous and include the three largest metropolitan areas in Canada too, and the largest EV infrastructure, and, and, and. So the argument is a bit chicken-and-egg, given all that, it seems to me. Not to say you're wrong in your assessment, but that there may be more to this story.

MassDeduction said:
IanL said:
Help out an ignorant Brit - what is a non-compliant state in this context?
I'm Canadian so I'm not an expert, but I'll give 'er a go. Whereas most countries have national standards, U.S. standards can vary state-by-state. So-called "CARB States" are California and about a dozen other states that have joined them in enforcing higher automobile standards. Then there are so-called "ZEV States" that has signed onto the Zero Emission Vehicle mandate that essentially requires automakers to sell EVs. While the ZEV programme is run by CARB, I believe it's possible for a state to join ZEV even if it doesn't sign on to CARB.

If you hear an American YouTuber talking about "compliance cars", they're talking about an automaker that releases a car that no one (including the automaker) is very excited about, but they're doing it to be compliant with ZEV and/or CARB standards rather than trying to actually make any money with it.

So some automakers sell their electric cars in every state. Others may sell e-cars only in CARB States. Still others may sell e-cars only in ZEV States (which is a smaller list than CARB). Kia, as of last I knew, sold the Niro EV only in ZEV states, and has stopped selling the Soul EV anywhere in the U.S. Meanwhile, both are widely sold just across the border in Canada.

So like I say, I'm not an expert, but I *think* the OP was talking about a state that's not compliant with CARB and/or ZEV, based on what they said.

Wikipedia on CARB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...andards#California_Air_Resources_Board_(CARB)

Wikipedia on ZEV: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Air_Resources_Board#Zero-Emission_Vehicle_Program

Thanks, great post :cool:

Back