No options for a Bike Rack?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

querion

My wife and I have recently become much more active in cycling during the summer months. We would like to start exploring some cycling tours beyond what can be reached with the bicycle from our own home but I am exceedingly disappointed to find that there are no bike racks or trailer hitches for the EV version of the vehicle.

I've spent about 30 hours in the last 3 weeks searching the web and phoning but to no avail.

Does anyone out there have a link to an option that works for the 2019 Soul EV?

My understanding is that KIA do not want the EV consumption figures to be discredited by towing or carrying things on the roof, so the dealers will say no. However, I believe the tow hitch attachment points are there on the EVs, so the hitch could be fitted. e.g. link

Also, the roof carriage accessories for ICE Souls with no roof rails will fit the EV. e,g, link

You would have to determine (or ignore) whether their use would be legal wherever you live.

Here are a couple of threads where people have installed hitches on their Soul EVs
http://mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=118&p=5159#p5157
http://mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=930&p=8041

You need to cut some holes in the plastic aerodynamic cover underneath of the rear of the car but apart from that it should just bolt in just like on an ICE Soul.

IanL said:
My understanding is that KIA do not want the EV consumption figures to be discredited by towing or carrying things on the roof, so the dealers will say no. However, I believe the tow hitch attachment points are there on the EVs, so the hitch could be fitted. e.g. link

Also, the roof carriage accessories for ICE Souls with no roof rails will fit the EV. e,g, link

You would have to determine (or ignore) whether their use would be legal wherever you live.
My local Kia dealer had no problem putting a hitch receiver on either a 2016 Soul EV or a 2021 Soul EV. They said a 2" receiver wasn't available, but a 1-1/4" receiver was (and I was fine with that). I explained that it was only for carrying bikes on a rack, not for towing.

Thank you all for for the answers. I am not much of a DIY person, so I'll try to find a reputable dealer who is willing to perform this work for me. I would also assume that said dealer would be aware of any local laws that might prohibit this installation.

querion said:
Thank you all for for the answers. I am not much of a DIY person, so I'll try to find a reputable dealer who is willing to perform this work for me. I would also assume that said dealer would be aware of any local laws that might prohibit this installation.
How did it end up working out for you?

I have an older Thuile square bar rack and bought feet for the 2nd gen Soul and works just fine. You take a hit on range for sure. I drive to local trails and beach so Fatbikes and surfboards are a thing and it works.

Back