Resolved: Heat pump stopped working after climate software update SA427, fixed via Kia Service Action 210031

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2016Electric said:
Gordo said:
There's an update out there, at least in Norway. If anybody stateside has any info, please share.

Interesting.. So the heat pump starts working again with the Norway update for 2016 models?

I just got off the phone with the dealer who last checked my car (they have my vin etc). They said there is no new software available for my vehicle at this time.

This is for (Ontario, Canada).

I'll place another likely-to-be frustrating call with kia Canada and see what they have to say. Thanks for the uodate from Norway.

Yes this update fixes the heat pump according to Kia. The update was released in Norway today, so I will hopefully get a call from my dealer tomorrow.

notfred said:
Mine was updated a couple of weeks ago to the bad version. I opened a case on the Kia Canada website yesterday and I'm waiting for the initial reply from them - website says it could be up to 48 hours.

Oh notfred... Whyyyyy? Lol
Out of curiosity, what did your dealer say about this?

I've placed my call to kia Canada and am waiting on a response (asked about the apparent norway fix).

My OBC died so I had to take it in. They replaced that, plus did the FATC and EPB updates.

I complained about the AC and they found the thermal expansion valve was leaking so replaced that and recharged it. My parking brake switch was also playing up (broken internally) so they replaced that. The mechanic also found a number of clunks in the front suspension and they replaced: both front stabilizer links, right front lower ball joint, and the rack to pinion steering gear assembly, and then did an alignment. I was surprised by the amount of front end work - I'm driving normal city streets in Ottawa and am generally successful at avoiding potholes in the spring thaw.

OBC was covered under EV warranty, updates were service campaigns so free. Thankfully I'd purchased a fully inclusive warranty when I bought the car because the rest added up to about $2000 and I only had to pay a $100 deductible. I don't normally buy a warranty with a car but with this being a 1st gen model and new technology, and lots of bits that aren't fixable internally but replace for $1-2k I did this time.

I spoke to the service adviser about the FATC update stopping the heat pump from working at lower temperatures and he was unaware. He said they don't actually get told what the logic changes are. From everything I've seen, the mechanics just plug in the GDS/KDS and then talk to KTAC so that's why I've opened the case with them.

Great to hear that there's good news from Norway on this, hope the version gets approved here in Canada soon!

NorSoul said:
Yes this update fixes the heat pump according to Kia. The update was released in Norway today, so I will hopefully get a call from my dealer tomorrow.
Any news? Do you have the update on your car? Any pointers to version numbers that we can quote to Kia Canada?

notfred said:
NorSoul said:
Any news? Do you have the update on your car? Any pointers to version numbers that we can quote to Kia Canada?

I can confirm that kia Canada was totally unhelpful, as anticipated. Their response to me was that software from other regions cannot be installed here... Even though that wasn't what I asked (I asked if the same fix would be made available here, to cars sold in Canada). I asked them to clarify their response and am still awaiting a reply.

In all of my unfortunate interactions with kia Canada, I get the distinct sense they at best have zero interest in selling and supporting EVs.. At worst, it comes across as actual contempt/hostility toward the vehicles and their owners.

This will certainly be the last kia product that I ever buy (and by extension Hyundai), given this horrible level of quality control, and zero attempt to correct their error (or even an acknowledgement that they did anything wrong). Never again.

notfred said:
NorSoul said:

I got the update yesterday, and the heat pump is purring like a tractor again. The SW number is ST.PSEV.EUR.E532.191120, so Europe specific.

Thank you for that. Mine is going on to the dealer on Monday so that they can see the behavior. Unfortunately it is warming up here so I'm not sure how many more days we will have for then to get to the bottom of this before October.

Agree on the software version being European only, but at least it's something to start asking questions about what changed in that version and what's the equivalent version for Canada.

notfred said:
Thank you for that. Mine is going on to the dealer on Monday so that they can see the behavior. Unfortunately it is warming up here so I'm not sure how many more days we will have for then to get to the bottom of this before October.

Agree on the software version being European only, but at least it's something to start asking questions about what changed in that version and what's the equivalent version for Canada.

Hi notfred,
My dealer (Mega Kia, Brossard, Quebec) are now aware of our problem. They had my car for evaluation and confirmed problem with heatpump. They asked Kia Canada for having issue resolved, but they answerd back there is no problem (!!!!). Looks like they want to avoid extra efforts in fixing issue (hopefully they have enough qualified technical personal to handle correctly). My dealer was VERY reactve, so hopefully when more dealers raise issue, hopefully Kia Canada will listen.

I am waiting for written investigation from my dealer. I will share soon after.

NorSoul said:
...I got the update yesterday, and the heat pump is purring like a tractor again. The SW number is ST.PSEV.EUR.E532.191120, so Europe specific.
That code is for the map software on your navigation screen. It is not the ROM ID of the FATC update.
It is possible that Europe has different software for the climate computer but I highly doubt it.
Globally all 16MY got update 11 and all 17MY got update 13.

The numbers look like this ( 07 to 12 ) - to get it for your car you will have to be standing next to the Kia mechanic as he performs the update.
( presumably the new update would be 13 or 14 )

YpinEV said:
notfred said:

Hi notfred,
My dealer (Mega Kia, Brossard, Quebec) are now aware of our problem. They had my car for evaluation and confirmed problem with heatpump. They asked Kia Canada for having issue resolved, but they answerd back there is no problem (!!!!). Looks like they want to avoid extra efforts in fixing issue (hopefully they have enough qualified technical personal to handle correctly). My dealer was VERY reactve, so hopefully when more dealers raise issue, hopefully Kia Canada will listen.

I am waiting for written investigation from my dealer. I will share soon after.

Thanks for the update. Still no response from kia Canada for me.
What concerns me is that we now have at least three known cases in Canada between you, notfred, and myself.. And that means kia Canada is aware of multiple complaints for the same issue, but are sticking to their script that nothing is wrong.

As you can see from my notes in here, I raised this issue quite.. Shall we say.. Vigorously with the dealer and kia Canada in the fall of 2020.. Yet, several months later, they are feeding you the same lie that nothing is wrong.

The dealer found an issue in the DCDC converter so they are going to replace that. They couldn't explain to me how that would cause an issue with the heat pump, but Kia wants to replace that first before digging in deeper. So the good news is I'm getting a $6000 5 year old part replaced under warranty, the bad news is that it is on back order and will be 4-6 weeks - by that time I don't expect to be needing the heat pump. I guess I'll be back at the dealership in October, unless Kia Canada rolls out the FATC update that the Norwegians have before then.

As "early adopters" I suppose we have to tolerant of the manufacturers need to gather data on reliability issues. I expect they want your DC-DC Converter back in the lab to find out what that issue is, and eliminate it as a potential confusion factor when eventually addressing the heat pump.

However, I don't see why there's any need to delay till October to return to that issue, provided the ambient temperature is lower than the maximum you can set on the climate control.

Ottawa gets hot in the summer, it's going to be more air conditioning than heating soon, particularly during the hours when the dealership is open. According to 2016Electric the heat pump only works with temperature set below 22C.

notfred said:
Ottawa gets hot in the summer, it's going to be more air conditioning than heating soon, particularly during the hours when the dealership is open. According to 2016Electric the heat pump only works with temperature set below 22C.

Does anyone have any updates on this heat pump problem?

I'm trying to communicate with Kia but they're being obnoxious. I'm wondering if I can file a complaint with the EPA for so massively altering winter consumption. I don't want to cause problems, I just want the update :(

I don't know if such a thing exists. They want me to have a dealer diagnose it. We both know they don't know anything.....so

Gordo said:
I don't know if such a thing exists. They want me to have a dealer diagnose it. We both know they don't know anything.....so

Thanks for the update - interesting to see that:

1) It is also happening to vehicles sold in the US

2) Kia (America) is pulling the same nonsense that Kia Canada is...

Class action, anyone?

Gordo said:
All I want is the update :( I don't want any trouble. Ugh

Indeed - and after pushing Kia Canada for months, and for them STILL (now) to be telling the same story to me and others (that nothing is wrong with the car), I'm disgusted at their apparent dishonesty and lack of concern for their customers.

Back