Setting up Torque to show BMS data

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-
In previous discussions we have mentioned that the SOH readings given by Torque do not work correctly on the 30kWh versions of the Soul EV.
There is recent discussion about this here - Soul 2019 30kWh battery SOH shows "60% and 18kWh" whenever it drops below 110%
The values for Min and Max deterioration do not work the same way on the 30kWh version of the car as the original 27kWh version.
Until someone posts some data from a car with less than 100% SOH this cannot be fixed.

However I can confirm that an original 27kWh with a replacement battery and updated BMS continues to work as the original 27kWh version.
The battery cells in the replacement pack are the newer more energy-dense kind from the 30kWh pack. It still has 96 cells though not 100.

After 1,800km driving on the new pack I see this.

Note: the numbers I collect from the car data are the ones that the car itself reports. I do not collect calculated values at this stage.
The State of Health of the battery SOH is not reported by the car. (Or perhaps we have just never found it yet.)
After adding the data into a spreadsheet I can calculate the SOH using one or more formulae.

-
In a couple of recent videos TeslaBjorn has been using the carscanner app on a 64kWh Soul EV. (called e-Soul in Europe).

Here we see an image from a camera facing the phone screen overlaid onto an image from the forward view camera.

Carscanner appears to be a low quality version of Torque with adverts.
The only reason I assume why anyone would use it is that it is free.
It does seem to be able to accurately input Torque PID files.

I don't have this app and do not intend to try it.
If someone using it would like to comment about it this thread would be a good place to start.
If there is much interest perhaps it should have its own thread.

-

-

Changes are not yet live - I'm writing this as I make the changes.

I am updating the codes for the 27kWh Soul EV to use the latest formulas in torque. see - Torque Wiki :- Equations
Specifically -
INT16(A:B) - Returns a 16 bit int from values A and B. Can be used in place of (A*255)+B
INT24(A:B:C) - Returns a 24bit int from the input values
INT32(A:B:C:D) - Returns a 32bit int from the input values
BIT(value:bit) - Returns the bit specified at 'bit' from the 'value'. This function replaces the use of the {value:bit} notation.
None of these are case specific, I prefer to write them as Int16(a:b), Bit(a:1), etc

The only reason for using the new formulas is to make the code easier to read and debug. Functionality doesn't change.
I am not going to update for any other car, but if someone else wants to do so ...

These formula only work in recent versions of Torque. For those using older versions I shall leave the original files in the files_no_longer_used folder.

I have also made a few minor changes.
In the file Kia_Soul_EV_VMCU_data I have inverted the Eco and Charge Timer buttons to more accurately show the state.
The label is also changed to 'Timer', from 'CH'

I have also decided to remove all the calculations that were using the average SOH.
The first value for SOH shown will be the one that simply uses the worst cell.
The average SOH was only useful when the original battery pack was new.
I now label this SOH2.
For a healthy battery pack these two values will be similar, but once the pack starts to fail only the worst SOH is useful.

I added 'Operating Seconds' to go with the existing 'Operating Time' in hours.
Code:
000_Operating Seconds,OpSecs,2101,Int32(au:av:aw:ax),0,1000000000,seconds,7E4
000_Operating Time,OpTime,2101,val{000_Operating Seconds}/3600,0,1000000,hours,7E4

I have added a file Kia_Soul_EV_Cluster_data. There are some currently unknown PIDs here, and I'm hoping to find the GOM and the odometer.
A value for the odometer was found on both the Ioniq EV and the Kona64 EV
Code:
002_Odometer,Odo,22b002,Int24(g:h:i),0,16777215,km,7c6
see Ioniq EV lacks a lot of data points - Issue #7
I will add this value to the other cars.
The 27kWh Soul EV responds to this PID but not with the odometer.
There is a value, it reduces by 1 when you turn on any climate function, but it is not obvious what it is.
-

Any luck with the odometer?

Would love to add support for the Soul here: https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1542&p=11260#p11260

Thank you.

ZuinigeRijder said:
Watchdog said:
Any luck with the odometer?

Would love to add support for the Soul here: https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1542&p=11260#p11260

Thank you.

Soul EV Spy shows the odometer.
You can ask the developer of the app: langemand

Thanks. I've looked into Soul EV Spy and for the odometer it uses monitoring rather than request/response.
Not discarding this way yet but I would prefer a request/response way of getting the data (as for all other data).

'
I saw this disclaimer on a Tesla app. It seems appropriate for the Torque codes we use too.
"Information shown in this app was not meant for the public and may be inaccurate, subject to change or disappear as the car gets software updates. This information is presented for entertainment purposes, and for learning more about how your car works."

I have now removed the link to the Torque codes from my signature.
I no longer recommend any OBD app for the casual user.
I will repeat the comment made in the last post.

"Information shown in this app was not meant for the public and may be inaccurate, subject to change or disappear as the car gets software updates. This information is presented for entertainment purposes, and for learning more about how your car works."

The problems listed are not a theoretical possibility, they have all happened. It is not just software updates that cause the problem.
The bigger issue is that the BMS numbers shown no longer make sense as the battery severely degrades.
I saw this 6 years ago on my Hyundai BlueonEV and Kia Ray EV, but now we are seeing the same on old Soul EVs.
(kind of sad that the BMS used today is just as bad as the one used then.)

In this video by TeslaBjorn testing a 2015 Soul EV with actual degradation of about 50%.
He uses carscanner but torque or soulevspy would show the same errors.

car-scanner.png

All the numbers on the bottom row are completely wrong. It is not just an issue that the BMS has been reset and the numbers zeroed.
The Cumulative Energy Counters do no report the actual energy used on the trip.
He subtracts the starting value from the end value to show this.
I graphed this all out in my own testing back in 2017. And realized the numbers shown are no longer useful.
Old data shown here :- Comparing BMS data on the Soul EV with the Ray EV
Testing an old car is best done by driving it, not by using an OBD.

-

Last edited:
Back