Gordo

Re: Heat pump stopped working after climate software update SA427

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm

I've asked them to contact Kia of Norway. I wish Kia of Norway had a twitter or something.

IanL

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:37 pm

YpinEV

Mon May 03, 2021 3:07 pm

Good news from Canadian front.

Went to dealer Today for main battery check. They told me new BMS/FACT was required on my car. Guess it is new one since it was first time technical advisor saw that particular one. Leaving dealer at 10 deC, heatpump was roaring again. :) I will try to share update information as soon I get it from my dealer. I guess our voices was finally heard.

Considering I will get new main battery soon, it was very good visit after all.

2016Electric

Tue May 04, 2021 5:43 am

YpinEV wrote:Good news from Canadian front.

Went to dealer Today for main battery check. They told me new BMS/FACT was required on my car. Guess it is new one since it was first time technical advisor saw that particular one. Leaving dealer at 10 deC, heatpump was roaring again. :) I will try to share update information as soon I get it from my dealer. I guess our voices was finally heard.

Considering I will get new main battery soon, it was very good visit after all.

Excellent news. I will have mine updated as well and see what happens.

It's getting a little warmer now so I have some concerns about that (for testing purposes), but I'll test it on a cold night and make sure it is working after the update.
After that, I will chill the ambient temp sensor down one degree at a time to see what the new cutoff point is (see my prior postings - it generally would not come on at sensed ambient temps of less than 15C, which rendered it inoperative).

notfred

Tue May 04, 2021 6:47 am

That's promising. I got my new epcu last Monday but the heat pump still isn't running. It's going back in next Monday so hopefully they can fix it this time.

Gordo

Tue May 04, 2021 12:01 pm

Kia Customer Care US still tells me (as of a few minutes ago) that no update is available.

2016Electric

Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 am

Gordo wrote:Kia Customer Care US still tells me (as of a few minutes ago) that no update is available.

Hi Gordo, I am sorry to hear that.

I just wanted to provide a quick update on this:

I contacted a local dealer and they verified there is an update for the vehicle. The update was applied, and appears to have rectified the inoperative heat pump problem. In testing the heat pump at an ambient outside temp of approx. 8C, inside cabin temp set to 20C to 22C, the heat pump is working as it did prior to update SA427. After all of that, what a relief!

Furthermore, testing in the garage by chilling the outside air temp sensor down one degree at a time to as low as -20C, cabin temp set to 22C confirms that the heat pump continues to operate throughout testing (prior to that, once ambient sensed temp dropped below approx 15C, the heat pump would not operate, at all).

For information purposes, the update is listed by Kia Canada as "Service Action 210031", released April 23, 2021.

The text of the update indicates:

"This bulletin supersedes Service Action # 200042 and provides the procedure to update the Battery Management System (BMS) and Full Automatic Temperature Control (FATC) software on some Soul (PS EV) vehicles to improve air conditioning operation while the battery is charging.

Correction:

To correct this concern, update the BMS & FATC system using KDS event #501 and event #540"

Gordo

Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 am

That's awesome! Thank you for the bulletin info too. This might come in handy.

2016Electric

Resolved: Heat pump stopped working after climate software update SA427, fixed by Service Action 210031

Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Gordo wrote:That's awesome! Thank you for the bulletin info too. This might come in handy.

I hope it helps you and anyone else with this problem.

2016Electric

Re: Resolved: Heat pump stopped working after climate software update SA427, fixed by Service Action 210031

Sat May 08, 2021 3:58 pm

2016Electric wrote:
Gordo wrote:That's awesome! Thank you for the bulletin info too. This might come in handy.

I hope it helps you and anyone else with this problem.

I'm going to revise the thread title for now to reflect that the software glitch appears to have been resolved by this service action (210031).

Return to “Technical Discussions”