Kia Battery Replacement Frustrations [HELP/ADVICE]?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm finally getting my battery replaced :) Battery is stated to be on back-order at the moment, but I have a provisional appointment in 3 weeks

similar story here.

My 2016 Soul EV went in to the Kia dealer to check the EV battery. Instead, the dealer applied a BMS logic upgrade which reset the SOH to 100%. The dealer now claims that with an SOH of 100%, the car does not qualify for a warranty battery replacement. Of course, nothing changed with the battery and the actual range is still below 35 miles. Kia's own technical service bulletin says:

"These displayed values will gradually be relearned to reflect the actual battery condition with multiple drive and charge cycles performed above 50°F (10°C) from less than 20% SOC to more than 90% SOC."

Does anybody know how many "drive and charge" cycles need to be performed before the SOH will be reported accurately?

Thanks Soul EV Community!

I have seen 5 mentioned, but you only need to do them until you can read below 70% SOH with the Soul EV Spy app. My guess is, with the battery so poor, three should do it.

I think the dealers actions are a cynical delaying tactic, despite the fact that KIA has instructed the dealers to read the SOH before doing the update. See link. You might like to show that TSB to the dealer when you next take it in, just to let them know that you know.

Well after about 13-14 trips to the dealer, my battery finally reported under 70% SOH (68.5%), oddly I had the appointment booked for several weeks before bringing it in and only about 2 days before bringing it in did it drop from around 90% to 71% then to 68% the day before I brought it in. I've since been approved for a new battery and it's been shipped from the USA (to Canada), and due to go get replaced on the 27th. Funnily enough, days after it's back to reporting 86% SOH lol....

Back