Using Level 1 Charger Outdoors

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcalvada

The Level 1 charger that came with my Soul EV works fine for me.

I plug it in to an outside outlet, as I have no garage to store my car in. It would be easier, more convenient for me to keep the charger plugged in and hung up on the outside of my house when not using it(locked up, of course, to prevent theft). Then at night I could easily plug it into my car when I get home from work.

Somebody told me it's not a good idea to do this. I live in an area with harsh winters and a fair amount of rain the rest of the time. Thoughts on this?

-
It is quite normal for public charging equipment to be outside.
Why should there be a difference to charging at home?

Perhaps you should put a lockable cupboard on the wall where the outlet is (cut a hole in the back for it). Then the charger could be locked in the cupboard and be protected from the weather as well as thieves and vandals.

The only caveat I can think of is whether your level-1 charger is hardened against weather to a sufficient degree. Is it warrantied for outdoor use? If so, you should be good to go. It may not be weatherized to the same degree as a public charging stand.

Back