Slow Level 2 charging

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osbornab

2015 Kia Soul EV. 2nd owner and no problems to date. About 1-2 months ago max charging speed on Level 2 (240v) went down to 7.2 amp (1.7 kw). I have tried 2 different EVSEs to confirm that wasn't the problem. There are no CEL codes. The battery is only 1 year old as it was replaced under warranty given previous degradation; new battery is reporting a very good SOH. Has anyone else seen this?

This sounds like a BMS problem. The car signals the charger the level of current it wants, and it seems to be getting that wrong, sending the wrong signal on the CP line. Apparently, the early BMS are rather unreliable, so you should get a replacement under the warranty.

If you want to look up the detail, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772. Although the article is for the Type One connector, the control protocol is the same for Type 2.

I suspect the OBC rather than the BMS. If the BMS wasn't accepting more than 1.7kW then you would have problems with regenerative braking. You could confirm by trying to DC fast charge as that goes straight to the BMS and battery, not involving the OBC at all. It doesn't really matter, if you are seeing the same issue on multiple different EVSE then the car needs to go to the dealer anyway.

FYI It's the EVSE that signals the current available to the OBC on the CP line. The car then just takes as much current as it wants up to that limit (and the Soul EV has a 10% margin for additional safety).

Thanks for the insights. I will take it out today to test dc fast charging, but a problem with the OBC does make sense. There are no local dealers in my region that repair EVs so a repair will involve transporting the vehicle 200 miles away. If there were a few more DC fast chargers on I40 in TN I could probably make the drive, but they are still sparse in the South around TN and MS.

One other thought as you are down in the south and it may be warm. If the DC fast charge is also very slow or refuses to start, see if the fan in the trunk floor is working properly - it should kick up in speed when DC fast charging to keep the battery cool. If you have an OBDII bluetooth dongle and an Android phone then you can use the Soul EV Spy or EV Watchdog apps to check on the battery temperature and fan speed. The BMS may be limiting the charging rate to keep the battery cool if the fan isn't working properly.

I believe all the first generation have the fan in the trunk to draw the air through and cool the battery. The 2nd generation have a liquid cooled battery

Went to an EA charger and was able to charge at 44kW so apparently not an issue with the battery, bms, or fan. Soul spy did show the battery with a battery.heat1_temperature of -50C. I'm in a temperate climate so temperature is incorrect.

notfred said:
One other thought as you are down in the south and it may be warm. If the DC fast charge is also very slow or refuses to start, see if the fan in the trunk floor is working properly - it should kick up in speed when DC fast charging to keep the battery cool. If you have an OBDII bluetooth dongle and an Android phone then you can use the Soul EV Spy or EV Watchdog apps to check on the battery temperature and fan speed. The BMS may be limiting the charging rate to keep the battery cool if the fan isn't working properly.

Finally had a diagnostic performed at a dealership and told needed a replacement OBC. Car is a 2015 with over 60,000 miles. Unfortunately told part is not covered under warranty and online is $1900. Still perplexed by that as the manual states OBC is covered under the EV system warranty good for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm the second owner but I can't see an original owner requirement under the EV system warranty section in the manual. Unless I'm misreading something.

Back