Any notion of what's coming for 2022?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassDeduction

It's not uncommon for an e-car to have a significant new revision ever 2-3 years. The BMW i3 was released in 2014, had a significant revision in 2017, and another significant revision in 2019. Similarly the Soul EV was released in 2016, had a revision in 2018, and a revision in 2020.

What are the odds of a significant new revision in 2022, therefore? If you need a new car now, it obviously make sense to just buy the 2021 Soul EV and enjoy it. But what if you're on the fence? Any chance that it might make more sense to wait for a potential 2022 revision?

It now shares the same platform as the e-Niro and the Kona Electric. Any hints about either of those models getting a significant revision for 2022? That might be a preview.

I'm not an expert but it seems like those cars were released before the new Soul EV and thus lacked some of the newer niceties like the HUD display.

If I recall correctly the latest model years now sync those features back into the other models from the Soul EV, so I would be surprised if they changed much in the Soul at all. Plus they can't make enough as it is to enter all available markets.

Hyundai and Kia will have new electric cars using the E-GMP platform.

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/7db3336

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/f32c34b

And also 800V charging is coming:
https://electrek.co/2020/05/13/kia-to-offer-crazy-fast-ev-charging-with-800v-battery-system/

Ah yes, the all new all-electric platform.

In early 2021, Hyundai will introduce the IONIQ 5 - a midsize CUV based on the 45 self-driving EV concept which was announced at the IAA 2019 in Frankfurt. In 2022, Hyundai will introduce IONIQ 6 sedan based on the company's latest concept EV Prophecy, which was unveiled in March 2020. In 2024, Hyundai will present the IONIQ 7 - a large SUV, also based on the Prophecy concept.

Question is will these be available in the traditional small markets only or more widely?

ksoul2084 said:
I'm not an expert but it seems like those cars were released before the new Soul EV and thus lacked some of the newer niceties like the HUD display.

If I recall correctly the latest model years now sync those features back into the other models from the Soul EV, so I would be surprised if they changed much in the Soul at all. Plus they can't make enough as it is to enter all available markets.

Good point that the Soul EV, as one of the most recent and highest-end adaptions of the current platform, might be one of the last to be adapted to the new E-GMP platform. Also good point that strong demand for the current model would also point to it being one of the last adapted into the new platform. Finally, it being a cool yet oddball model might further push it further down the list. It sells well, but since it has less competition it's in less dire need of replacement.

ZuinigeRijder said:
Hyundai and Kia will have new electric cars using the E-GMP platform.

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/7db3336

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/f32c34b

And also 800V charging is coming:
https://electrek.co/2020/05/13/kia-to-offer-crazy-fast-ev-charging-with-800v-battery-system/

Good catch! One of the cars in the sketch in the link looks a *lot* like a new Soul EV. But even if that's correct, it's a cars that might not ship until... ???? No point waiting then, in case it's a 2023 model year or later. :)

ZuinigeRijder said:
Hyundai and Kia will have new electric cars using the E-GMP platform. [...]

Your comment raises an interesting point. If the new cars are going to be on the E-GMP platform, what's the name of the current platform that the 2020 and 2021 Soul EV is on (that it shares with the e-Niro and the Kona Electric)? Presumably the platform needs to be identified in some way. :)

MassDeduction said:
Your comment raises an interesting point. If the new cars are going to be on the E-GMP platform, what's the name of the current platform that the 2020 and 2021 Soul EV is on...
The current Hyundai Kona and Kia Soul Electric use the small-car platform.
The current Hyundai Ioniq and the Kia Niro use the Eco-Car platform.

see - Top Five: Global EV Platforms

Starting next year -
Hyundai-Kia E-GMP Global EV Platform
Example models: Hyundai 45 and Prophecy; Kia Imagine
Estimated volume: Hyundai 560,000 per year by 2025; Kia 500,000 per year by 2026
Battery sizes: 58kWh to 73kWh
Range: 218 to 311 miles
Charging capacity: Up to 200kW
EMotor: front and all-wheel drive versions possible

JejuSoul said:

Starting next year -
Estimated volume: Hyundai 560,000 per year by 2025; Kia 500,000 per year by 2026
With reference to your final line, for whatever reason both the Ioniq 5 and the EV6 are only sold in rear-wheel-drive (RWD) and all-wheel-drive (AWD) variants. Is it confirmed that front-wheel-drive (FWD) is possible under E-GMP? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but it is interesting to note that neither of the first two models come in a FWD variant.

The Kia EV4 looks to be the successor to the Soul EV, to my eye (or a midway point between the Soul EV and the Seltos, perhaps). I wonder if that would be a model with a FWD? I am no expert, not even close, but I'm told that FWD is generally superior to RWD for winter driving in snow/ice (though AWD is better than either).

MassDeduction said:
..... I'm told that FWD is generally superior to RWD for winter driving in snow/ice (though AWD is better than either).

That is true for ICE and EV as regards traction, but an ICE with AWD derives no benefit as regards braking, whereas an AWD EV will benefit due to four wheel regeneration.

MassDeduction said:
JejuSoul said:

Starting next year -
With reference to your final line, for whatever reason both the Ioniq 5 and the EV6 are only sold in rear-wheel-drive (RWD) and all-wheel-drive (AWD) variants. Is it confirmed that front-wheel-drive (FWD) is possible under E-GMP? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but it is interesting to note that neither of the first two models come in a FWD variant.

The Kia EV4 looks to be the successor to the Soul EV, to my eye (or a midway point between the Soul EV and the Seltos, perhaps). I wonder if that would be a model with a FWD? I am no expert, not even close, but I'm told that FWD is generally superior to RWD for winter driving in snow/ice (though AWD is better than either).

FWD introduces significantly negative handling characteristics and was always a "compromise" design choice even in ICE cars. RWD provides superior handling on dry surfaces vs FWD, and if you are in a market where ice and snow are a factor, AWD is again superior to FWD (and RWD). No need for FWD in EVs.

Surprised you should say that - when the original Mini was introduced, everyone lavished praise on its FWD, and it wiped the floor with all the RWD cars on its first Monte Carlo Rally (which included some ice and snow bits in the Alps, where it performed amazingly).

ksoul2084 said:
FWD introduces significantly negative handling characteristics and was always a "compromise" design choice even in ICE cars. RWD provides superior handling on dry surfaces vs FWD, and if you are in a market where ice and snow are a factor, AWD is again superior to FWD (and RWD). No need for FWD in EVs.
Front wheel drive handles better in the ice and snow than RWD. FWD is cheaper than AWD, if you're on a budget. All other things being equal, FWD provides longer range than AWD. So if you live in a colder climate, your best bets would be either FWD or AWD.

You suggest RWD handles better than FWD, but that depends (my example of ice and snow is an example where FWD is generally seen to handle significantly better). And you dismiss FWD because AWD is better in ice and snow. But presumably we could dismiss any advantages of RWD equally easily by saying AWD is better?

So I think it's less that RWD is better than FWD, or vice-versa, and more that each is better than the other in certain circumstances.

I don't even think it's fair to say that AWD is better across the board than either FWD or RWD, given AWD is more expensive and that AWD is generally shorter range.

IanL said:
MassDeduction said:
..... I'm told that FWD is generally superior to RWD for winter driving in snow/ice (though AWD is better than either).

That is true for ICE and EV as regards traction, but an ICE with AWD derives no benefit as regards braking, whereas an AWD EV will benefit due to four wheel regeneration.
All my comments were about EV FWD and EV AWD, since this is an EV forum. :)

You raise an interesting point about regen. Is there significantly more regen on an AWD set-up than a FWD or RWD set-up? AWD generally is shorter range than FWD or RWD, I note, which actually surprises me as you might think it wouldn't be much difference (two motors working a little less hard, vs. one motor working a little harder, all other things being equal?).

AWD has more driveshafts to rotate and more universal joints on those driveshafts, that gives a small inefficiency.

There are 2 parts to handling in the snow and other slippery conditions. Firstly, can you get traction - this is directly related to where the weight is in the vehicle. A heavy ICE, gearbox and differential in the front of the car gives good traction with FWD. In the case of an EV where the major weight is the battery pack between the wheels and the weight distribution is more balanced then there isn't the concern.

The second part is about what happens when the wheels lose traction. Generally the driven wheels will lose traction first because some of their grip is used for acceleration leaving less available for turning. In a FWD car this leads to understeer, and an inexperienced driver has a natural reaction to turn the steering more and lift off and possibly brake, which will not lead to any surprises. In a RWD car this leads to oversteer, which while being more controllable for an experienced driver is going to lead to an inexperienced driver panicking and potentially spinning out, possibly hitting some other things on the way.

Before my Soul EV I had a Subaru Impreza with manual transmission. It was glorious in the snow, extremely controllable on the throttle, it might not be pointing in the direction it was travelling but it got there and was great fun. If I had to replace my Soul EV, an AWD Ioniq 5 would be high on my short list.

MassDeduction said:
You raise an interesting point about regen. Is there significantly more regen on an AWD set-up than a FWD or RWD set-up? AWD generally is shorter range than FWD or RWD, I note, which actually surprises me as you might think it wouldn't be much difference (two motors working a little less hard, vs. one motor working a little harder, all other things being equal?).

I'm beginning to form a view that the amount of regen available to the driver is probably determined by the designer, rather than the physical limits. However, I was thinking that, in conditions of poor grip, it is better to split the available regen between four wheels rather than limit it to two. I have experienced loss of grip under regen on the FWD SoulEV, and thought AWD would help in that circumstance.

IanL said:
I'm beginning to form a view that the amount of regen available to the driver is probably determined by the designer, rather than the physical limits. However, I was thinking that, in conditions of poor grip, it is better to split the available regen between four wheels rather than limit it to two. I have experienced loss of grip under regen on the FWD SoulEV, and thought AWD would help in that circumstance.
I'm speculating here, as I'm no gear head. However, it occurs to me that regen is the motor basically working in reverse. So perhaps a more powerful motor could work harder in reverse? So my current thinking is that we're both right, specifically:

- the power of the motor determines the upper limit of how much regen is possible, but

- the designer can choose how much regen occurs within the range of what the motor is capable of

I can think of reasons why a car might not be designed to produce the maximum possible amount of regen, including potentially excessive wear and tear on the motor, and recharging the battery pack faster than is ideal.

notfred said:
AWD has more driveshafts to rotate and more universal joints on those driveshafts, that gives a small inefficiency.

There are 2 parts to handling in the snow and other slippery conditions. Firstly, can you get traction - this is directly related to where the weight is in the vehicle. A heavy ICE, gearbox and differential in the front of the car gives good traction with FWD. In the case of an EV where the major weight is the battery pack between the wheels and the weight distribution is more balanced then there isn't the concern.

The second part is about what happens when the wheels lose traction. Generally the driven wheels will lose traction first because some of their grip is used for acceleration leaving less available for turning. In a FWD car this leads to understeer, and an inexperienced driver has a natural reaction to turn the steering more and lift off and possibly brake, which will not lead to any surprises. In a RWD car this leads to oversteer, which while being more controllable for an experienced driver is going to lead to an inexperienced driver panicking and potentially spinning out, possibly hitting some other things on the way.

Before my Soul EV I had a Subaru Impreza with manual transmission. It was glorious in the snow, extremely controllable on the throttle, it might not be pointing in the direction it was travelling but it got there and was great fun. If I had to replace my Soul EV, an AWD Ioniq 5 would be high on my short list.
Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. In addition to the inefficiencies you noted in AWD, I imagine (all other things being equal) an AWD car will be heavier which is an additional inefficiency.

You make a good point that FWD vs. RWD being better will depend on the driver. I live in an area that rarely gets snow, so the average person here isn't very experienced with driving in it, so FWD is probably better in the snow for the average person here. :)

MassDeduction said:
IanL said:
I'm speculating here, as I'm no gear head. However, it occurs to me that regen is the motor basically working in reverse. So perhaps a more powerful motor could work harder in reverse? So my current thinking is that we're both right, specifically:

- the power of the motor determines the upper limit of how much regen is possible, but

- the designer can choose how much regen occurs within the range of what the motor is capable of

I can think of reasons why a car might not be designed to produce the maximum possible amount of regen, including potentially excessive wear and tear on the motor, and recharging the battery pack faster than is ideal.

I agree about the power. I understand that wear and tear on the motor is not a real issue - the motors are ac and brushless. I believe the Controller and OBC controls regen braking and charging, so that is obviously a matter of design.

Going back to your original point about the range of AWD being less than 2WD, I think the predominant factor would be the increased weight (or mass, more correctly, as we are considering the energy required to accelerate), and copper losses - for the same output, one motor with beefier windings will have lower heat losses than two.

Back