jray3

Re: Reported battery SOH improving over time, rather than the reverse?

I'm in the same boat as Bernard, south of Seattle with a 74 kilomile 2016 that hit 63.4% SOH on 1/27/22 when I set my dealer appointment for warranty EValuation.
A job change meant that I went from over 151 miles per day of driving (with 4 DCFC) to largely virtual work, and usage dropped to maybe 12 miles per day average in warming weather. By the time the dealer measured SOH, it was a freezing cold day but the BMS reported a lousy 70.3%!! Faced with my SOULSPY data, KIA of Puyallup opened a TechLine case and tested again the next day, but Corporate told me to come back later with a reading below 70%.
Appointments are still running 6 weeks out, so it'll be mid-April before I take another crack at the SOH meaurement.
At least I got a car wash out of the deal.... :roll:

Hey Bernard, come on up to the Seattle EV Association meeting this coming Tuesday and we can compare notes. https://www.seattleeva.org/wp/
IanL

MY 2018 SoulEV reports the BMS SOH on the OBD interface, so SoulEV Spy would give the same value the dealer reads. The earlier model does not, and Spy calculates a value based on cell deterioration, which does not necessarily use the same method as the KIA test equipment, so may give a different value.
Last edited by IanL on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jray3

The saga continues. 63.4 SOH according to SOULSPY on January 27th became 70.3% at the dealer by March, and now on April 12th, it measures 70.6%! Warming weather and sitting at 100% seems to only boost this SOH algorithm.. For good measure I used it on a max range run the night before, and a full recharge from 15% SOC only consumed 15.1 kWH, The return trip down to 5% SOC was only 55 miles, with cautious 60 mph driving. if 15.1 kWH is 85% of actual capacity, that yields a capacity of 17.76 kWh, or 65.7% of the 27 kWh spec, but not low enough to satisfy this BMS..... :roll:

Return to “Technical Discussions”