Roof top carrier vs trailer hitch cargo rack? Effect on mileage

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrivingForce

Going on a 300 mile round trip beach trip with the family and need a solution to increase cargo. Roof top box seems simplest, but I'm afraid it could decrease my range on the highway substantially. Anybody have any idea if a trailer hitch unit is better for this?

Ah, sorry I meant a trailer hitch-mounted cargo box that sits behind the rear bumper, not a trailer. That way the frontal area of the car isn't changed.

I've noticed my Soul is extremely susceptible to head winds when it comes to range reduction. A roof top box might cause a similar situation.

DrivingForce said:
Ah, sorry I meant a trailer hitch-mounted cargo box that sits behind the rear bumper, not a trailer. That way the frontal area of the car isn't changed.

Its not just an issue of the frontal area. A protrusion at the rear may create a fair amount of turbulence in the airflow, which causes drag. Ask a C130 pilot what having the ramp down to the horizontal does to his airspeed and how much he has to open the throttles to compensate.

IanL said:
DrivingForce said:

Its not just an issue of the frontal area. A protrusion at the rear may create a fair amount of turbulence in the airflow, which causes drag. Ask a C130 pilot what having the ramp down to the horizontal does to his airspeed and how much he has to open the throttles to compensate.
This is true, but I think the area behind the Soul is a very turbulent area anyway since it is not a streamlined car. A rooftop box will also mess up the flow of air. Arguably even more than a trailer hitch mounted cargo box.

I guess nobody has tried both? :)

I'd try the hitch method, but I can't seem to find good info on a trailer hitch that works, and also I would need some sort of license plate bracket since the license plate would be blocked.

Here's a thread about adding a trailer hitch to the Soul EV https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12542

I guarantee the difference will be noticeably better with a hitch-mounted cargo carrier than a rooftop box. Main downside is further reduction of our tenuous FWD Traction in hill-climbing…. I ran back-to back tests with my RWD I-MiEV a decade ago, and then stuck with the hitch rather than roof whenever possible.

Back