ishiyakazuo

Cold climates without battery heater?

Hi,
I bought a Soul EV (2017 27kWh) a couple of weeks ago, and it's come to my attention that the one I bought may not have the battery heater... I live near Chicago, and we get pretty cold in the winter (-20F/-30C is rare but does occasionally happen). I had a 2012 Leaf SL before, and that had a battery heater. What can I expect from this Soul EV if it doesn't have one?
The battery is in very good shape for its age -- the car only has 18k miles on it, and SOH is over 95% still, which I understand is a rarity on 2017 27kWh models. If I take it out in temps of -10 to -20C, is it likely that the car won't start after a few hours, or just really reduce its range?
Any thoughts from knowledgeable folks out there would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Confirmed -- I went under the car and cleaned off the label, and it is indeed 37501-E4000. Anyone successfully gotten a swap from E4000 to E4250 or E4250R when getting battery replaced? Or are there other changes that make it difficult/impossible to add the battery heater?
2017 Soul EV (base, silver)
Formerly owned 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
ishiyakazuo

Re: Cold climates without battery heater?

I thought I'd follow-up on this post myself, as I couldn't find any other discussion on the topic on this forum, but I did find some interesting info on the My Nissan LEAF forum.
I'm inclined to believe that this won't be an issue for me. I keep the car in a garage, which I can heat in the winter if needed to give the battery extra ability to hold a charge and avoid damage. The battery pack maintains warmth to some degree when in use, and, for example, the Nissan LEAF won't even turn its heater on until -4F/-20C, and it sounds like it may need to be unused and exposed to the elements for a day or so before that is likely to happen. I have no way to tell if my former LEAF ever enabled its heater. We get noticeably colder than -4F here on occasion, so on those relatively few days, I'll probably just drive my Niro.
2017 Soul EV (base, silver)
Formerly owned 2012 Nissan Leaf SL

Return to “Batteries and Charging”