Range meter vs actual miles

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale

New to me 2016 Soul EV. Today I kept track of odometer mileage and the "range guessometer" that indicates how many miles you have left .
At full charge the "guessometer" (range indicator next to speedometer) is generally at 87 miles when starting out with 100% charge. When I got home it said I had 12 miles left. So 87 - 12 = 75 miles traveled?

The odometer however indicated that we went 96 actual miles. Wondering why there is such a difference? Is it all due to regenerative braking or is the "guessometer" just very conservative? Thanks, al

It's usually a little conservative, but not that much.

The big thing is it bases the range estimate on how it was driven before. If it was driven more aggressively, or driven in colder temperatures, or something similar that used more power for the range then that can throw it off significantly.

Once it gets used to the current conditions and the way you drive it then I expect it will be more accurate.

I have found that it takes 300 to 400 miles to "forget" the old history and represent current conditions. If you live where there is pronounced seasonal charge, it never really catches up. So its pessimistic in Spring and optimistic in Autumn (Fall).

I just got my BMS reset due to some recall the dealer mentioned (which I can't find any info on anywhere), and I find the guess-o-meter is actually much more accurate now after the BMS reset. I've owned the car for about 600 miles now (roughly 450 miles or so before the reset, 150 since). The GOM did seem to be getting more accurate before the reset, but it was extremely conservative before, and after the reset (where it now shows in excess of 100 miles with a 100% charge, though I haven't had it over 94% since the BMS reset, where it showed 100 miles) it's pretty much dead on. The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner did not drive very efficiently at all. It could've also just not been driven for a season or two, and now it's correct for summer, as you say.

IanL said:
A BMS reset returns the GOM to a preset value, after which it slowly adapts to real world data.
Right, I got that. However, the point I was trying to make was, sometimes getting the BMS update/reset sets the range more in line with reality if you notice that it's reporting much lower than what you're actually seeing. (Especially if you got the car from a non-Kia dealer and take it as soon as possible into the Kia dealer to be checked out as I did...)

But you're right, it will likely eventually even out either way. (And if it doesn't, winter is coming at some point...)

Back