2022 Soul EV Navigation Question

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reesoe

Hi Everyone,

we are heading on vacation shortly and I've been planning ahead to make sure we have enough range and access to chargers for the drive. I've been trying to make use of the onboard navigation but whenever I start route guidance the stated range on the car drops something like 50-55kms which seems wild to me. We have the Premium trim and we're getting a stated range of 310km on a full charge but we get the same range drop no matter the state of charge when guidance is started. Is this normal?

It seems like a huge hit to range, what's the point of using the onboard GPS if I can just connect my iPhone and get closer to the full stated range of the car.

Please let me know if there's something I'm missing.

Thanks!

You seem to be falling into the trap of believing the GOM. It is clearly giving an erroneous estimate. There is no possibility that the capacity of the battery is being reduced instantaneously when you engage guidance. If you feel insecure with the GOM showing rubbish, don't use the guidance, and, when convenient, take the car to the dealer - they need to report the fault to KIA - it is presumably a programming error.

The GOM usually decrements the range estimate by something like 15km when climate is switched on, which is not unreasonable, but there is no logic in such action when guidance is engaged.

Yeah 15km would be so bad. I updated maps last night, our destination is 246km away and when I start navigation it drops by 40 km. I’ll run it by the dealership, thanks for the advice!

Back