Warranty for recall updates to an imported car

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASAH

I purchased a 2017 Soul EV that was imported from US to Canada by our local dealer. It has been running with the triangle sign (Service required) for past few weeks. Last week a turtle sign came on at 80% charge on a warm day and then the temperature reading shot up by 15-20 degrees over 15-20 mins of driving. I left it to cool off, picked it after few hours when turtle sign did not come up again. Since then the car is noisy when charging (fan/compressor running). Took it in to the dealer who replaced the 12V battery. He also tried to update BMS and FATC software for a recall (210031) before replacing the battery - only BMS update completed to ROM ID 5520, FATC failed as battery crashed during the update. At the same time, HVAC control module has gone unrecoverable - was working fine until I took it in. Now I will be waiting for the HVAC control module from Korea for an unknown duration. Able to drive the car around with no HVAC, noisy & incomplete (85%) charging for now.

Questions:
1. Who covers the warranty for the 12V battery and recall update issues in this case?
2. Based on the reported issues, thought the technician should have replaced the battery first before attempting software updates. Would it not be a standard operating process to check the battery before starting software updates?
3. Has anybody else had HVAC control module failures and recovered from it? What was the cost and waiting time? Or was it covered under warranty?
4. The updated ROM ID on BMS looks incorrect to me for a 2016 Kia Soul. Anybody has any insight into that? Could that have caused subsequent issues?

Back