Gear drive fault?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolika65

Hi! I have a 2015 Soul EV. It sometimes makes a clicking sound when accelerating or decelerating. Gearbox replacement according to service. Has anyone had this problem?

The gearbox on my 2016 at 172,000 km completely failed. The car won't go into drive or reverse fully, you can hear the motor spinning rapidly and the occasional "clunk" as the gears, or what's left of them, try to engage. :(

My car is out of warranty (160k limit) so I'm on the hook. This seems to be a common failure part on these as I searched auto wreckers extensively and the none of the ones that had KIA EVs still had the gear box, they had all been sold.

I ended up buying a new one from a discount kia parts store online (kia.parts) and am having a local transmission shop install it for me. Part was $2895 USD + shipping.

The only EV-certified KIA dealer in my area quoted me, with a straight face:

Gear box: $11,785.
$1800 to install.

I haven't gotten the car back yet so can only hope the new gearbox fixes it.

-
There's a thread from 2016 about self-inflicted gearbox destruction. I haven't heard of any faults recently.
see :- New Transmission on 2016 Soul EV
Moving the gear lever into 'P' while the car is driving risks destroying the transmission.
Pictures by Alkl from the German Forum - Kaputtes Getriebe

Broken holder (top center)

Second gear half with gear wheel for park claw (far right)

Hole in Transmission

Remember the car is behaving as it is supposed to do in this case.

I notice that back in 2016 I quoted the manual saying the gear oil needs changing every 60,000km.
In reality my cars were done after 120,000km at the 7 year service.

They added this Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid.
photo_2022-11-06_23-3v4f73.jpg

ksoul2084 said:
The gearbox on my 2016 at 172,000 km completely failed. The car won't go into drive or reverse fully, you can hear the motor spinning rapidly and the occasional "clunk" as the gears, or what's left of them, try to engage. :(

My car is out of warranty (160k limit) so I'm on the hook. This seems to be a common failure part on these as I searched auto wreckers extensively and the none of the ones that had KIA EVs still had the gear box, they had all been sold.

I ended up buying a new one from a discount kia parts store online (kia.parts) and am having a local transmission shop install it for me. Part was $2895 USD + shipping.

The only EV-certified KIA dealer in my area quoted me, with a straight face:

Gear box: $11,785.
$1800 to install.

I haven't gotten the car back yet so can only hope the new gearbox fixes it.

I got the car back from the transmission shop a week ago. Drives perfectly! Better than when I bought it, the transmission is now completely silent in operation, even during B mode regen. Cost to install was 1/2 of what KIA wanted, and the transmission shop was interested to do it (first PHEV they'd done).

Back