Thoughts on socket splitters?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjoel

What are your thoughts about socket splitters? Didn't have a charger hardwired. Instead, I'm using a portable 40V home charging station. We only have one NEMA 14-50 outlet at home being used by the charger and our dryer.

Has anyone tried using socket splitters? I have my eye on this one from Lectron.
https://ev-lectron.com/collections/socket-splitter/products/lectron-nema-socket-splitter-power-your-ev-charger-and-high-powered-appliance-from-the-same-outlet-nema-14-50-to-nema-14-50-nema-14-50-splitter

Not ideal. A plug/socket arrangement carrying high current is a potential weakness, in terms of a poor contact causing overheating. Having two in series compounds the problem. Much better for high current services to be permanantly wired. However, the splitter is better than unplugging and plugging in the other service every time. If you go for it, I recommend a weekly inspection, looking for discoloration, feeling for excessive heat and sniffing for burning.

Back