Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JejuSoul said:
ZuinigeRijder said:
Currently I have also received a Konnwei KW902 and I could connect it with Torque lite.
Hi ZuinigeRijder, welcome to the forum. I too have a Konnwei KW902. There is a copy of Torque Pro on the CD that comes with it. I have posted the commands needed to read the battery data with Torque Pro. It saves time converting all the data from hex.
ZuinigeRijder said:
So it looks like the deterioration is already 11% with 18709 km driven. How does this compare with others?
We don't have much data (12 cars), but these values are in the same range as all the others (except 1 car in Switzerland). For example one car in Sweden driven 22160 km has max det 11.2%, min det 10.2%. We don't know how these values relate to actual deterioration in range because no-one has measured any yet. Posting the entire hex data is useful here because we may find a value for SOH (state of health) that has been zero in all previous datasets. There is a discussion of battery ageing in this thread http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434

I did made a spreadsheet, so people can copy/paste the hex data to the spreadsheet and then the computed values are shown.
You can download the spreadsheet here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35461579/KiaSoulEV/KiaSoulEV2101_2105.xls

Interesting enough, the State of Charge of Battery(BMS) is 55% (in 2101) and SOC Display is 57% (in 2105). 57% was shown on my display. (Max Deterioration is 11.6)
I also looked into the link and copied/pasted the hex data of Elmil in the spreadsheet. It showed State of Charge of Battery(BMS) 87% and SOC Display 91.5% (Max Deterioration is 9.8)
Same for Alex: State of Charge of Battery(BMS) 84% and SOC Display 88% (Max Deterioration is 8.3)
Same for Tyrel: State of Charge of Battery(BMS) 26.5% and SOC Display 26.5% (Max Deterioration is 0)

Would this relate to State of Health?

ZuinigeRijder said:
Interesting enough, the State of Charge of Battery(BMS) is 55% (in 2101) and SOC Display is 57% (in 2105). 57% was shown on my display. (Max Deterioration is 11.6) .....Would this relate to State of Health?
Yes. Elmil was collecting this data. See his post dated Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:42 pm at the
Battery Ageing Model thread http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434. Will be interesting to see if his later data shows a useful trend.
I am still expecting a value for SOH to be found because the system needs that value at all times to create the Distance To Empty (aka GOM) reading.

And thanks for linking your Excel spreadsheet.

ZuinigeRijder said:
First some background of the Kia Soul EV I own. I bought my car one year old with 10.000 km driven. It was one of the first demo Kia Soul EV cars on the market in the Netherlands (2014-08-26). I do not have any clue how the car was driven the first year and how the charging behavior has been.
As you know I have bought more or less the same kind of car as you. I have driven a bit more though. My odometer says 22038 today.

I also have a Konwei OBD dongle. At last I have found some time to get a few readings. This is what I got yesterday (when the car was charged and plugged in):

Code:
2101:
10: 3D 61 01 FF FF FF FF 
21: BE 10 2B 23 28 20 FF
22: FD 0F 7C 0B 0B 0B 0B
23: 0B 0B 0B 00 0B CE 01
24: CE 13 00 00 78 00 01
25: E4 A1 00 01 ED 72 00
26: 00 B3 EA 00 00 B1 F1
27: 00 56 FA 57 41 00 03
28: 00 00 00 00 03 E8 00 

2105:
10: 2C 61 05 FF FF FF FF
21: 00 00 00 00 00 0B 0B
22: 0B 00 00 00 00 10 2B
23: 23 28 00 01 55 00 00
24: 00 66 40 00 55 01 C8
25: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
26: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Using your excel sheet these are the values:

Code:
State of Charge of Battery(BMS)	95,00	%
Available Charge Power	41,39	kW
Available Discharge Power	90,00	kW
Battery Current	65533,00	Ah
Battery DC Voltage	396,40	V
Battery Module 1 Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Module 2 Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Module 3 Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Module 4 Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Module 5 Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Module 6 Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Module 7 Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Module 8 Temperature	11,00	°C
Max Cell Voltage	4,12	V
Max Cell Voltage No.	1,00	
Min Cell Voltage	4,12	V
Min Cell Voltage No.	19,00	
Auxiliary Battery Voltage	12,00	V
Cumulative Charge Current 	12406,50	Ah
Cumulative Discharge Current	12632,20	Ah
Cumulative Charge Energy	4605,80	kWh
Cumulative Discharge Energy	4555,30	kWh
Cumulative Operating Time	5700183,00	Sec
Inverter Capacitor Voltage	0,30	V
Isolation Resistance	1000,00	kOhm

Battery Inlet Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Min Temperature	11,00	°C
Battery Max Temperature	11,00	°C
Available Charge Power	41,39	kW
Airbag H/wire Duty	85,00	%
Battery Heater 1 Temperature	0,00	°C
Battery Heater 2 Temperature	0,00	°C
Max Deterioration	10,20	%
Max Deterioration Cell No	64,00	
Min Deterioration	8,50	%
Min Deterioration Cell No	1,00	
SOC Display	100,00	%

And this is what I got this morning after driving to work (not plugged in yet):

Code:
2101:
10: 3D 61 01 FF FF FF FF 
21: 2F 23 28 23 28 03 00 
22: 20 0D 47 16 15 15 15 
23: 15 15 15 00 15 B1 2A
24: B0 51 00 00 8E 00 01
25: E4 A9 00 01 EF C3 00
26: 00 B3 ED 00 00 B2 C4
27: 00 57 09 AD 45 01 55
28: 00 00 00 00 03 E8 00 

2105:
10: 2C 61 05 FF FF FF FF
21: 00 00 00 00 00 15 15
22: 15 00 00 00 00 23 28
23: 23 28 00 01 50 00 00
24: 00 66 40 00 55 01 2E
25: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
26: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

with these values:

Code:
State of Charge of Battery(BMS)	23,50	%
Available Charge Power	90,00	kW
Battery Current	32,00	Ah
Battery DC Voltage	339,90	V
Battery Module 1 Temperature	22,00	°C
Battery Module 2 Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Module 3 Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Module 4 Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Module 5 Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Module 6 Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Module 7 Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Module 8 Temperature	21,00	°C
Max Cell Voltage	3,54	V
Max Cell Voltage No.	42,00	
Min Cell Voltage	3,52	V
Min Cell Voltage No.	81,00	
Auxiliary Battery Voltage	14,20	V
Cumulative Charge Current 	12407,30	Ah
Cumulative Discharge Current	12691,50	Ah
Cumulative Charge Energy	4606,10	kWh
Cumulative Discharge Energy	4576,40	kWh
Cumulative Operating Time	5704109,00	Sec
Inverter Capacitor Voltage	34,10	V
Isolation Resistance	1000,00	kOhm

Battery Inlet Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Min Temperature	21,00	°C
Battery Max Temperature	21,00	°C
Available Charge Power	90,00	kW
Airbag H/wire Duty	80,00	%
Battery Heater 1 Temperature	0,00	°C
Battery Heater 2 Temperature	0,00	°C
Max Deterioration	10,20	%
Max Deterioration Cell No	64,00	
Min Deterioration	8,50	%
Min Deterioration Cell No	1,00	
SOC Display	23,00	%

Note that Excel likes to help you with numbers. So when you enter "09" in a field it will change this to "9". This is sometimes helpful, but mostly annoying. It will also screw up a formula like "=HEX2DEC(B10&C10&D10&E10)" which is used for the Cumulative Operating Time. Suppose you have values as "00", "57", "09" and "AD" then Excel will convert "0579AD" which is way lower than "005709AD" because of the missing 0 before the 9.

Even so I still have a few odd values. For example yesterday it gave a battery current of 65533,00 Ah (hex values "FF" and FD").

JeroenE said:
For example yesterday it gave a battery current of 65533,00 Ah (hex values "FF" and FD").
The two bytes for battery current are signed. So hex 0001 is +1 and hex FFFF is -1. The unit should be A not Ah. All the temperature values from the BMS are also signed bytes.

JejuSoul said:
The two bytes for battery current are signed. So hex 0001 is +1 and hex FFFF is -1. The unit should be A not Ah. All the temperature values from the BMS are also signed bytes.
So it should read -3 A? That makes sense. The climate control was starting to work and in fact the car displayed the "charging will take longer because the climate control is on" warning. It says something like that, I don't know the exact message by heart.

JeroenE said:
ZuinigeRijder said:
I did made a spreadsheet, so people can copy/paste the hex data to the spreadsheet and then the computed values are shown.
You can download the spreadsheet here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35461579/KiaSoulEV/KiaSoulEV2101_2105.xls
I changed the spreadsheet so it uses signed bytes and also doesn't lose characters when a conversion from Hex to Dec is done.

Can I send it to you so you can update the file?

I did update the spreadsheet with the fixes above. Thanks JeroenE.

JeroenE: Thanks for posting your data. The deterioration shown by the BMS counters is very similar to all the other users. And like them I don't think you have any deterioration in range at all.

To calculate a rough value for your usable battery capacity.
We see that you drove for about an hour and used 77% of the usable capacity.
The Cumulative Energy Charged counter increased by 0.3kWh. This is recuperated energy. We must subtract this from total energy used.
The Cumulative Energy Discharged less the recuperated energy increased by 20.8 kWh.
Hence your usable capacity is 20.8/0.77 = 27.0kWh

JejuSoul said:
JeroenE: Thanks for posting your data. The deterioration shown by the BMS counters is very similar to all the other users. And like them I don't think you have any deterioration in range at all.
I still have the same range as I had 4 months ago. However, the range of this car is less than the demo car I drove.

We see that you drove for about an hour and used 77% of the usable capacity.
That's right.

The Cumulative Energy Charged counter increased by 0.3kWh. This is recuperated energy. We must subtract this from total energy used.
Is that normal? I didn't brake very much and it would be around 1.5 km range (when you calculate with 5 km per kWh or 20 kWh per 100 km). So that seems OK, I guess.

The Cumulative Energy Discharged less the recuperated energy increased by 20.8 kWh.
Right, the car had charged 22.89 kWh in the afternoon according to the kWh-meter of the grid. But the pre-heat was on. It didn't heat that much though. It was -again- reset back to 15 degrees which is kind of annoying.

Another annoying thing is that the dongle does not seem to work anymore. The red power light turns on, but the blue BT light doesn't. Pressing the button doesn't help :(

JeroenE said:
JejuSoul said:
Another annoying thing is that the dongle does not seem to work anymore. The red power light turns on, but the blue BT light doesn't. Pressing the button doesn't help :(

I had this too, after reboot/restarting my phone I could make a bluetooth connection again. So it is possibly more related to the phone/Torque Pro.

JeroenE said:
I too use the Konnwei KW902 and have had similar problems. I agree with ZuinigeRijder that they are probably mostly phone related. In my case the bluetooth functionality in cyanogenmod is buggy. The button on the KW902 seems useless. The instruction sheet in the box says the button is a restart button; the dongle is supposed to power off after 30 minutes. It does not.
The reason I recommend the Konnwei KW902 is because it is the one recommended by Turbo3 for the LeafSpy app. see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro and it is the one used by the current developer of the SoulSpy app in this thread. The more of us who use the same hardware the easier it is for us to solve each others problems.
I have two concerns with the KW902 though.
1/ It seems to allow access to any hacker who walks past and types in the known password 1234. If that hacker could somehow make it active, he could type in a few codes and open the doors. It is a very unlikely scenario.
2/ It seems to stay on and draw power from the auxiliary battery. I worry that this will drain the battery.

Having looked at most of the similar projects to our own (see previous posts in this thread), I think the project closest to the SoulSpy is not LeafySpy but the CanZE project for Renault Zoe. I am going to post some links and ideas I have just found by reading through their discussions.

1/ Discussion thread for CanZE (mostly English - some German) Hacking into Zoe's CANbus
"The Konnwei KW902 ones do work (until those are re-manufactured too of course) and that is why for the time being, it is the only one that I can recommend.".

2/ The code for their app is here - https://github.com/fesch/CanZE
Of particular interest is the issues page. Be sure to look at the closed issues too.

3/ A great video of CanZE in use. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8lr9jcEaEM

The big advantage for us is that their project is open source, and that they are specifically targeting the bluetooth connection issues with the KW902.

ZuinigeRijder said:
I had this too, after reboot/restarting my phone I could make a bluetooth connection again. So it is possibly more related to the phone/Torque Pro.
and

JejuSoul said:
I too use the Konnwei KW902 and have had similar problems. I agree with ZuinigeRijder that they are probably mostly phone related. In my case the bluetooth functionality in cyanogenmod is buggy. The button on the KW902 seems useless. The instruction sheet in the box says the button is a restart button; the dongle is supposed to power off after 30 minutes. It does not.
Unfortunately restarting my phone has not resulted in a new connection with the dongle.

As far as I know I could use the button on the dongle to turn it on or off. When I pressed it I saw the blue light of the BT connection light up and then I could connect. When I pressed again the blue light would turn off. I'm not sure if I actually checked to see if the phone was still connected, sorry.

I also have another very cheap clone. I can still use that dongle to connect to the Soul.

However it does not accept the command "at sh 7e4" and I have not yet have time to research what commands I should use with this dongle to get the read outs of 2101 and 2105.

JeroenE said:
ZuinigeRijder said:
and

JejuSoul said:
Unfortunately restarting my phone has not resulted in a new connection with the dongle.

As far as I know I could use the button on the dongle to turn it on or off. When I pressed it I saw the blue light of the BT connection light up and then I could connect. When I pressed again the blue light would turn off. I'm not sure if I actually checked to see if the phone was still connected, sorry.

I also have another very cheap clone. I can still use that dongle to connect to the Soul.

However it does not accept the command "at sh 7e4" and I have not yet have time to research what commands I should use with this dongle to get the read outs of 2101 and 2105.

Did you also try to remove the bluetooth connection on the phone to the Konnwei and try to pair again freshly?
And has your phone also a bluetooth connection to the Car? This might interfere?

ZuinigeRijder said:
Did you also try to remove the bluetooth connection on the phone to the Konnwei and try to pair again freshly?
This is exactly what I had to do one time. If the blue light is not showing on the KW902 it means they are not paired.

JeroenE: I still think your problem with the KW902 is a phone issue not the dongle itself. Perhaps you could try connecting a different phone or tablet. I have seen the same problem as you. In my case it was with the Stock ROM on a Galaxy Note 1. I didn't bother debugging that issue because I was in the process of swapping the OS to Cyanogen. The same phone - new OS - and it just worked again.

ZuinigeRijder said:
And has your phone also a bluetooth connection to the Car? This might interfere?
and

JejuSoul said:
This is exactly what I had to do one time. If the blue light is not showing on the KW902 it means they are not paired.

JeroenE: I still think your problem with the KW902 is a phone issue not the dongle itself. Perhaps you could try connecting a different phone or tablet. I have seen the same problem as you. In my case it was with the Stock ROM on a Galaxy Note 1. I didn't bother debugging that issue because I was in the process of swapping the OS to Cyanogen. The same phone - new OS - and it just worked again.
My phone is connected to the Soul. This did not seem to matter before, so I don't think that is the problem per se. Perhaps the phone doesn't like to connect to multiple devices in a short period of time? I think that shouldn't matter, but I don't know.

I did manage to get everything working again:
  1. I removed the dongle from my BT-list on the phone
  2. I restarted the phone
  3. I could connect to the dongle
Hopefully it keeps working better this time, and at least I know of a way to get it working again.

The next step is to get it working in Torque Pro. So far I only tried Torque Lite and it doesn't seem to be able to do anything useful for the Soul EV. I saw there was a topic about this, so I'll read it and if I have trouble post it there.

I think I saw some people say that Torque Pro is on the cd with the dongle, but my laptop doesn't have a optical-drive. I don't think I uses a cd (or dvd) for several years. I guess I'm out of luck and have to buy it in the app store.

I have had some unusual errors while creating and checking some of the PID codes used when charging. These errors come after charging has finished. These errors do not seem to have caused any lasting problem. I am using a Konnwei KW902. The codes I am checking are the bit fields that check whether the cords are connected to the car. I am just reading these values. I am not trying to write anything to the ECU.
Normal Charge Port ,ECU:7E4 PID:2101, byte10:bit5
Rapid Charge Port, ECU:7E4 PID:2101, byte10:bit6

Error 1/ while checking the J1772 Cord. After charging to 100% was complete I tested the setting by unplugging one end of the cord as normal from the charger but leaving the other end in the car.
I turned on the car and got this message on the infotainment screen.
ojqfsl.jpg

This error was shown in Torque
2iu6hx4.jpg

I have never seen either of these errors before. Both just went away and haven't reappeared.

Error 2/ while checking the Chademo connection. After charging to 80% was complete I disconnected the plug from the car. and closed the cover. But the car refused to drive because it told me the cord was still connected. This error just went away after I turned off the car, and checked that the front cover was properly closed (It was). This error has not reappeared.

Being able to decode more of the PID values so we can create an app similar to UVO is something I would like to do. But I am not sure that cheap ELM clones such as the Konnwei KW902 are up to this task.

JejuSoul said:
Error 2/ while checking the Chademo connection. After charging to 80% was complete I disconnected the plug from the car. and closed the cover. But the car refused to drive because it told me the cord was still connected. This error just went away after I turned off the car, and checked that the front cover was properly closed (It was). This error has not reappeared.
I have had this too (even when I didn't had a dongle).

I can recreate this very easy. Start the quick charging. Then turn the car on (so you can run the heater or AC). Then stop the quick charging. You'll get the error that a cord is connected.

You can prevent this error by either not turning on the car after you started charging or turn the car off before you stop the charging and disconnect the plug.

Hi folks,

Thought i could contribute with some information from my 2016 Kia,

I've have a total of 3668 km, normally charged to 100% with the 2.2 kw charger and have a normal daily driving distance of
60 km, and this is data from my car while parked:

Available range: 92km
SOC-Diplayed: 71%
Outside temp.: -3C

2101:
7EC 10 3D 61 01 FF FF FF FF
7EC 21 88 20 DC 23 28 03 00
7EC 22 04 0E A6 08 06 08 07
7EC 23 07 06 06 00 08 C3 2E
7EC 24 C3 28 00 00 82 00 00
7EC 25 5B ED 00 00 5D CC 00
7EC 26 00 22 A3 00 00 22 0C
7EC 27 00 1E B0 93 45 01 7A
7EC 28 00 00 00 00 03 E8 00

7EA 10 0E 61 01 F0 00 00 00
7EA 21 0E 06 0E 03 00 00 00
7EA 22 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

2102:
7EC 10 26 61 02 FF FF FF FF
7EC 21 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3
7EC 22 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3
7EC 23 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3
7EC 24 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3 C3
7EC 25 C3 C3 C3 C3 00 00 00

2103:
7EC 10 26 61 03 FF FF FF FF

2104:
7EC 10 26 61 04 FF FF FF FF

2105:
7EC 10 2C 61 05 FF FF FF FF
7EC 21 00 00 00 00 00 06 07
7EC 22 08 00 00 00 00 20 DC
7EC 23 23 28 00 01 55 07 07
7EC 24 00 0A 1D 00 41 04 8E
7EC 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
7EC 26 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

This is decoded in ZuinigeRijder's spreadsheet:

State of Charge of Battery(BMS) 68.00 %
Available Charge Power 84.12 kW
Available Discharge Power 90.00 kW
Battery Current 4.00 A
Battery DC Voltage 375.00 V
Battery Module 1 Temperature 8.00 °C
Battery Module 2 Temperature 6.00 °C
Battery Module 3 Temperature 8.00 °C
Battery Module 4 Temperature 7.00 °C
Battery Module 5 Temperature 7.00 °C
Battery Module 6 Temperature 6.00 °C
Battery Module 7 Temperature 6.00 °C
Battery Module 8 Temperature 8.00 °C
Max Cell Voltage 3.90 V
Max Cell Voltage No. 46.00
Min Cell Voltage 3.90 V
Min Cell Voltage No. 40.00
Auxiliary Battery Voltage 13.00 V
Cumulative Charge Current 2353.30 A
Cumulative Discharge Current 2401.20 A
Cumulative Charge Energy 886.70 kWh
Cumulative Discharge Energy 871.60 kWh
Cumulative Operating Time 2011283.00 Sec 23.28 days
Inverter Capacitor Voltage 37.80 V
Isolation Resistance 1000.00 kOhm

Battery Inlet Temperature 6.00 °C
Battery Min Temperature 7.00 °C
Battery Max Temperature 8.00 °C
Available Charge Power 84.12 kW
Available Discharge Power 90.00 kW
Airbag H/wire Duty 85.00 %
Battery Heater 1 Temperature 7.00 °C
Battery Heater 2 Temperature 7.00 °C
Max Deterioration 1.00 %
Max Deterioration Cell No 29.00
Min Deterioration 6.50 %
Min Deterioration Cell No 4.00
SOC Display 71.00 %

Hi Sikke, welcome to the forum.
Hope you are enjoying your new car.
There is one oddity in the data you posted.
Max Deterioration 1.00 %, Min Deterioration 6.50 %
The maximum value has always been higher than the minimum in readings seen by users on this thread.
Am assuming this is just a glitch in the connection to the dongle.
Can you try again and see if this corrects. My guess is that your Min Deterioration is really zero.
What dongle are you using. I use the Konnwei KW902. It does have occasional glitches - see my posts above. But it is cheap and it does work.
Also how long have you had the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back