FW: Goodbye Nissan Leaf, hello Kia Soul EV

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanbanlo

Well, it has come to this. I have traded in my '11 Leaf for Kia. It was just an innocent "let's go take a look at that Soul" kinda Sunday thing.

After defending Leaf for a long time I had to concede defeat and trow in the towel. I had no other choice due to its shaky battery-swap future, inferior heating, slow 3.3 charging, and particularly in view of the fact how much superior Kia Soul is. That would be superior in ALL aspects of what a good and relatively inexpensive EV should be. Inexpensive as a lease of course. I learned my Leaf lesson well. Thank the lord I resisted the urge putting leather in that car.

So upon considering permutations of all available options we traded in our Leaf - sight unseen, if you can believe that - at Santa Rosa Kia for 11,500 and got a 15,000 mile lease deal for mid 300s. It doesn't get any better than that, fellow Leafers. Two years left on Leaf payments have been wiped out, and with it the my age of innocence in electrounatics.

First day of Soul driving, mostly freeway, Marin hills and all: trip + miles remaining = 105. Kia is serious about that 93 range claim. This was, of course, B mode in Eco. Folks, I cannot be happier. I can actually make it to work and back (84 miles), something I could only dream about my 2011 "100-mile" Leaf. Charging at 6.6, TMS, my phone instantly recognized as soon as I turn the power it on (something Nissan never fixed, even though I griped about it right from the start) is only the icing on the cake.

Because what really sold me on Soul was when I saw that the car not only has heated all seats, front and back, and cooled front seats (yes, that would entail fans inside them) but also that there are 3 levels of the above. Yes, that's 3 levels of heat and cool inside the front seats. Wow! Low, medium, high. This is one Cadillac of EVs to be had for 300+ bucks with a hypermile potential of WAY over 100 miles. It doesn't get any better than that.

So, goodbye Leafy. You served us well for 56170 miles. Now we moved you over so we can move on; on our continued electronaut journey.

PS: Santa Rosa Kia is VERY MOTIVATED to move the metal. Talk to the sales manager. Don't bother with the staff for too long. I gave you all pertinent numbers. Cut to the chase, bring your Leaf with you, get the deal... :mrgreen:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18266

We had leased two LEAF a 2011 then 2013. We also have just switched a 3 years SOUL EV lease 0 down $330 a month. We can buy it after 3 years for $15K. It's an amazing step up. The new 2015 LEAF is very nice and has the Heat Tolerant battery and better range. Their 2016 will even have 100+ ranges to select from.

We are just waiting for the Tesla model 3, $35k Before incentives, 200+ range coming in 2016-2017. Super Chargers are the only way to travel. 196 in the USA and more coming each day.

jstack6 said:
We had leased two LEAF a 2011 then 2013. We also have just switched a 3 years SOUL EV lease 0 down $330 a month. We can buy it after 3 years for $15K. It's an amazing step up.
Were you able to lease this from an Arizona dealership? I did not think the Soul was available in AZ.

Edit: Never mind. I see that you mention in the thread about heat testing in AZ, that you got it in California.

I too just switched to a Kia Soul EV from our trusty '12 Leaf that we had leased for 42 months. The '16 Leaf SL has several nice improvements, most notably the longest range among $35k-ish EVs. But the Soul EV has almost as much range and is a more comfortable car with better controls and driving feel. We just signed a 36-month lease; I'm figuring that by then (early 2019), those mythical $35k 200-mile cars might have actually arrived.

jstack6 said:
We had leased two LEAF a 2011 then 2013. We also have just switched a 3 years SOUL EV lease 0 down $330 a month. We can buy it after 3 years for $15K. It's an amazing step up. The new 2015 LEAF is very nice and has the Heat Tolerant battery and better range. Their 2016 will even have 100+ ranges to select from.

We are just waiting for the Tesla model 3, $35k Before incentives, 200+ range coming in 2016-2017. Super Chargers are the only way to travel. 196 in the USA and more coming each day.

As a Model S owner, thus dealing with Mr. Musk, I feel quite sure the 3 will be not only late but way above $35K when you equip it with even the most basic of options.
I don't know why he continues to over promise. Elon said the 8.1 update would be out in December, then January, it is now nearly mid March and it is still vaporware.
He needs to keep his mouth shut and just drop updates unannounced.
I guess it is harder when you are trying to get people to preorder but if he said $45K and delivered at $39K people would be impressed not annoyed.

Back