Comparison Of Fuel Economy for Battery Electric Vehicles

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JejuSoul said:
The result for the 2012 i-Miev is odd. They only have 2 cars, both drove very little. One had an average about 400 Wh/mile which is what I'd expect from this car, the other had an average about 200 Wh/mile.

perhaps the change part from 16kWh original product and the revised product with 14,5 kWh ... ?

SoulEV2016 said:
jeeeeez, propulsion group is a Tesla Product ... :|
The cars with the lowest efficiency in Phoenix Arizona have active liquid cooling (FFE, B class) . It is not such a bad thing " Obviously this cooling will reduce fuel economy, but the cost of the extra electricity to cover that cooling will be small compared to the cost of a new battery. If the battery lasts much longer as a result of a good TMS then the savings are greater."

Unless the replacement battery is free, because it is covered by the warranty. This is an advantage for the Leaf. see - Maintenance and Repair History - Vehicle #0356 : "31,721 miles - replaced battery pack under warranty"

Nothing in those Maintenance and Repair History logs suggest that the iMiev has a new battery, but the log may not be up-to-date.

-
Bad news. The AVT data is no more. INL's AVTA EV testing terminated

INL spokesperson:

Thanks again for your interest in INL's work producing the AVTA reports. As you probably know, INL is part of the Department of Energy's national laboratory system and receives much of its research funding and direction from DOE.

To answer your question about the light-duty vehicle testing, federal funding for the project has ended because the EV industry is maturing, which lessens the need for taxpayer-funded testing and data collection.

Donald Trump - Making America Great Again!

I only have direct experience with Spark EV and Soul EV. Spark's a much smaller car. I get about 250 Wh/mi in the Spark, 350-360 in the Soul. This is in California. Spark's been pretty consistent these past 3 years. Soul is new so I don't have any history.

This seems about right. Soul is taller, larger, longer, has a flat front, and is heavier since it has a larger battery, chassis, etc.

-
In 2017 the incoming Republicans ended Advanced Vehicle Testing of Battery Electric Vehicles in the US.
Am hoping the incoming Democrats will restore this program because it provided really useful data.

-

Looking back at the laboratory analysis of a 2015 Soul EV battery pack, There is so much great data.
It is such a shame that we don't have this for the newer cars.
From PDF: Battery Pack Laboratory Testing Results

This must be measuring the total capacity of the pack, hence the charging / discharging is done without the BMS.

The same lab test was done at 3 intervals. Baseline (BOT) and Intervals 1 and 2 (ICD1 and ICD2)

Back