Included 'trickle' charger

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pthack

Just bought a used 2016 Soul EV.

I noticed the included Kia 'home trickle' charger has a standard 120V 15Amp plug on it (5-15?), but the charger is labeled as 250V...Can I get or make an adapter cable to convert a 'standard' 14-50 or 6-50 (or 6-30) outlet you see at RV parks and charge at 240V 13A, instead of the 'normal' 120V 13A? It's an easy converter plug to make, and would make emergency travel charging a little bit easier...

Pete.

Yes, I believe the answer you're looking for is here. Make sure to read the entire thread to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

The answer is:

Yes. It should work with the Kia Soul included EVSE in North America.

Worked just fine on mine with an adapter that I fabricated, which I use occasionally to charge at another location when I don't feel like hauling my OpenEVSE with me. This is on a model year 2016 Kia.

Also worked just fine as a temporary measure for a friend of mine that recently purchased a 2018 Soul EV. His EVSE included with the 2018 handled the 240v supply no problem either.

(The power supply in the Kia EVSE we both have is a switching supply that can handle 120-250v)

That said, I am CERTAIN the adapter does not meet code, regardless of how well it is made and how safe it is (because it isn't certified). So, use at your own risk (i.e. if something goes wrong, even if it has nothing to do with what you have done, an insurance company or authority might jump on the chance to avoid paying out a claim, or pass blame in a worst case scenario). Which explains why I only use mine with fairly close supervision etc).

So, that's the technical answer. You can (and some do), but you aren't supposed to :)

Good luck!

Back