Charging Port Door Mechanism in WInter

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulMan

Anyone else have issues with the charging port cover not opening in freezing/snowy conditions?

On my (2020) Kia Soul, I found that when it was below zero or snowing, I couldn't open the charging door.

I could get it to open by pouring warm water all around it (didn't feel entirely comfortable doing that).

I tried just closing it most of the way, leaving it slightly open, and driving around like that, but the beeping alert drove me bonkers.

On my 2016 I sometimes need to get one of my family to hold the door open button while I pry at the edges of it. Most times pressing the button unlatches it slightly and I can then pull it open.

I have seen suggestions of using a silicone spray around the edges of the door to do it getting frozen shut, I haven't tried that yet.

I use a gardening tool that is used to dig weeds out between interlocking bricks. It has an L shaped blade that is quite thin. It's easy to scrape the ice out of the crack between the door and the opening. Also then use it to pry the door open. No damage to door or opening if done carefully.

My wife uses a long hair elastic (like to tie a ponytail) that she places around the charging door, on the side where the hinges are.

It wraps around the door, yet still allowing it to close, and you just pull on it to open the door.

I guess you could also use a velcro strap or something similar that would work too.

It's not a perfect solution, but It beats melting the ice with a hair-dryer every time the weather is bad.

If leaving it outside often then consider getting a cover such as this:

https://ecosolaris.com/en/electric-cars-winter-lid-cover-charging-port-protection/

I've not had an issue very often so haven't got one yet. When the door doesn't open on its own then I pop the hood and use the "emergency" door opener and that's always been enough to get it opened.

I have a 2018 and a 2020 Soul EV.

Both have the same problem in the winter especially after driving through a snow storm.

On the 2020, the charging door is a opened by pushing on it. Sometimes it takes a few tries to actually have it open, even when there's no snow.

I haven't found a good solution to either door problems.

I've had a lot of success using silicone lubricant on the charge door gasket. It helps displace water, thus preventing icing.
If the door is frozen, some lock deicer will work wonders.
If your cord is frozen inside the charge port though...I don't know anymore... :(

Hello friends. I love my 2020 Kia Soul. Alas, the charging door not opening drives me CRAZY! We live on a farm. Cars parked outside. The charging door never opens in snowy or just freezing weather (and often doesn't easily open even in good weather). I now drive around with it open and hate the beeping. I've tried some of the suggestions mentioned here but nothing works other than keeping it not fully closed. What the heck? Terrible design, I'm sad to conclude. Looking at the covers one can put over it, the only one specifically designed for Kia Soul seems to be the Ecosolaris Eco-Dome, an ugly contraption you must lift the hood to attach, and before I spend $70 on Amazon, I wonder if anybody has experience with this cover? I didn't see any references to a cover like this, but maybe I just missed it. Please advise! I'd love to continue loving my little Kia but this is no good and has created some difficult situations for me. Thanks!

Lenkal said:
Hello friends. I love my 2020 Kia Soul. Alas, the charging door not opening drives me CRAZY! We live on a farm. Cars parked outside. The charging door never opens in snowy or just freezing weather (and often doesn't easily open even in good weather). I now drive around with it open and hate the beeping. I've tried some of the suggestions mentioned here but nothing works other than keeping it not fully closed. What the heck? Terrible design, I'm sad to conclude. Looking at the covers one can put over it, the only one specifically designed for Kia Soul seems to be the Ecosolaris Eco-Dome, an ugly contraption you must lift the hood to attach, and before I spend $70 on Amazon, I wonder if anybody has experience with this cover? I didn't see any references to a cover like this, but maybe I just missed it. Please advise! I'd love to continue loving my little Kia but this is no good and has created some difficult situations for me. Thanks!
I wonder if building a lean-to and nosing the Soul EV into it would be a partial solution? I'm suggesting this without deep understanding of your situation, so this is just me spit-balling here.

My experience with the 2021 Soul EV is that it's harder to open (or to latch closed) if I don't quite nail the "sweet spot". But if I do it right on the mechanism, it's far easier. YMMV, though.

Back