radiator fan spinning constantly while charging and torque data

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neel

hello experts ,
i am using level 2 charger 220v /16 AMP , i notice many times (not always ) while charging on going , radiator fan spin full on constantly
this time i decided to check OBD II to see all kind of charging and OBC status to see if anything abnormal specifically temprature wise

** is this normal radiator fan constantly working while charging car ??
*** garage temp is around 22 C. **

OBC in AC_Amp and volatage - 14.4A / 241.5V
OBC out DC _V - 373.9 V
OBC pilot duty cycle - 27.666667
OBC temp_1 * 55 C (heat sink temp)
OBC Temp_2 * 66 C
OBC Temp _2 * 61 C

LDC data - 372 V in / 14.5V out / LDC temp - 32C

some thing catch my eye is data from "Torque" all data fairly same , but EWP status OFF , and OBC efficiency jumping between ( 76 -83 % )
is this normal ?
EWP shoudn't show ON or run on this OBC temprature ?
i open the coolant reserver put my finger was warm but not HOT,
if someone share info. would be appriciated ,
thanks in advance

-
The only value that seems wrong is EWP =OFF.
EWP is the electric water pump that pumps coolant through the OBC while the car is charging.

The efficiency of charging will vary with temperature and the use or not of the cooling system.

JejuSoul said:
-
The only value that seems wrong is EWP =OFF.
EWP is the electric water pump that pumps coolant through the OBC while the car is charging.

The efficiency of charging will vary with temperature and the use or not of the cooling system.

If your coolant pump isn't working for some reason that would lead to high coolant temps which would explain the fan running madly all the time trying to cool the non-circulating coolant. You'd think there would be a system fault if the pump had failed though.

I'd take it the dealer asap to be safe.

thank you both of you for reply, much appreciated
btw what temperature , EWP should kick ON ?
is there location diagram for thermostat for OBC ? is it outside i might check connection there.
i checked real time live torque while driving car , when i press AirCon - ON , instantly EWP status ON with shows RPM 70
so is it possible that charging situation EWP doesn't on but when AirCON becomes ON or other situation EWP works ?
do i need to mod. any data in PID test out EWP better ??
is 3way valve can play any role in this ? any suggestion to check fuse or relay , loose connection specially thermostat etc. ?
any possible PID for check climate control ?
because in peak winter i have check Ev light few times even car parked (not turtle sign) when i start cabin heater (climate control )
btw , i am out of warranty , so if possible try to do some basic check DIY at lest once.

thanks again.

Might be fine then.

I didn't see any reference to a thermostat in the Service Manual.

There was this bit:

"Traction Motor System
Description
The motor, On-Board Charger (OBC), and Electric Power Control Unit (EPCU) that makes up the main system in EV generates high heat when operating. Heat from these components can have negative effect on the performance of relevant parts. Furthermore, various semiconductor parts in an EV may even melt due to high heat. As a result, proper cooling of these electrical units is essential. Electric Power Control Unit (EPCU) monitors the operating temperature of various components and if necessary, activates the Electric Water Pump (EWP) and circulates the coolant."

If you don't have the service manual you can get it online for $20, just google for it.

ksoul2084 said:
...If your coolant pump isn't working for some reason that would lead to high coolant temps which would explain the fan running madly all the time trying to cool the non-circulating coolant. You'd think there would be a system fault if the pump had failed though...
1/ If your coolant pump had failed I would expect to see higher temperatures in the OBC. Between 55C to 65C doesn't seem that high.

2/ If the OBC overheats it would either stop or greatly slow down.

For an example of what happens when the pump fails ( at low ambient temp and a slow charging speed )
Slow level 2 charging and high OBC water temp

There's another example by Brian Henderson on the Facebook Forum who was driving from Oregon to California in the summer. He couldn't L2 charge in hot weather because of a broken EWP. Finding links on old posts from facebook is a challenge.

-

thank you , very much sir,
appriciated your input
i guess it seems my pump doesn't kick ON randomly while charging , i mean most of time it works but sometimes it just doesn't start
because my last few days monitor on this issue , while chaging radiator fan doesn't ON so i open the hood and listien , pump spinning noice clearly hear , i am suspecting mechanical damage in pump , this friday i am planning to dismental the pump parts to examin may be broken wing or loose / burnt electrical etc....if i don't find i will order new pump and replace and start from there , because DTC code also saying about pump i will post some pics over here ....
just want to know if anyone know , can pump test on 12vDC ??

Neel said:

Here are the specs from the service manual:

Operating rotational speed: 500 ~ 3740 rpm
Operating voltage: 13.5 ~ 14.5 V
Capacity: Min. 12 lpm (at 0.6 bar)
Rated current: Below 2.5 A (at 14 V)

ksoul2084 said:
Neel said:

Here are the specs from the service manual:

Operating rotational speed: 500 ~ 3740 rpm
Operating voltage: 13.5 ~ 14.5 V
Capacity: Min. 12 lpm (at 0.6 bar)
Rated current: Below 2.5 A (at 14 V)

thank you , appreciated ,
i already dis mental the pump , i got few pics will upload soon, as direct image upload is not possible here,
but its proprietary design , not possible to repair if any issue happen , i didn't find any leak or broken internal body
that coolant come on electical side, but i found gunk spot on pump impeller where magnet array area,
i clean it nicely and pull/push (outside) connector block to shake solder bit ( very fragile so be careful) , and install pump back to car,
** now its almost a week its outside temp. 30 - 38 C degree , i am doing schedule charging (off peak hours )
when ever my charging time starts and charging too ,randomly after 40 minute around i open the hood , i hear pump spinning but not radiator, touching OBC is evenly warm , put my finger in coolant reservoir its damn hot aprox 60-65 .C degree( i guess), which was never so hot before , radiator fan start stop didn't hear till the day, now i think on that gunk ? or stretching connector legs might settled something firmly and it seems work how it suppose too, its still under monitor , will update here if any change notice , thank you all of you for input. i will upload pics ASAP for other members if anyone interested,

pump dismantle pictures , if anyone interested for curiosity look
its BLDC full proprietary design fairly non repairable

https://ibb.co/m5KbFv1
https://ibb.co/5jbzWLD

hello everybody,
thanks fo sharing your experiency on this forum. im the owner of a soul ev of 2016, 3 days ago i had back my kia soul with a new traction battery but since that when i switch on the car the ventilator switch on himself and never stop. it doesn t do that when i put in charge but only when i switch on. do you have any idea? thank you
ps: sorry but my english is not so good so sorry for my language mistake

Back