Fault when using stock level 1 charger

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threefour

Back in November I bought a 2016 Kia Soul EV with 31,000 miles. I work at home and generally use the car around town, so the included level 1 charger has been sufficient for my needs. When the weather turned cold I moved the charger inside and ran the cable outside to charge the car. That has worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Lately I get a fault light on the charger just about every time I charge. I unplug the charger and plug it back in and it will start charging again. To get to a full charge (the estimate is 100 miles) I'll have to re-plug a few times.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?

FYI I am not using the charger with an extension cord.

Thanks.

Try a thorough cleaning of the contacts of the plug and socket between charger and car, using contact cleaning spray with no lubricant. A bad contact on the sensing line could cause the drop-offs.

Also check the wall socket that the cable is plugged in to. The car draws a lot of power for a long time, so anything that isn't perfect in that path can cause it to trip out.

Just in case others are following this post, unfortunately none of the above suggestions worked for me. As a fix for now I ended up plugging the charger into a "smart" outlet and programming the outlet to turn off and on every two hours.

Back