HV battery inlet temperature sesor

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spirit

Hello all.

Can please someone describe how the HV battery inlet temperature sensor works and its purpose. My understanding is that this sensor stays in the cabin under the driver seat and shows the temperature near the inlet of the HV battery cooling system. It looks like that the battery cooling blower works only if the inlet temperature is below the battery temperature. I think it makes sense because there is no point to blow on the battery with the air of the same temperature (or even higher) as the battery itself.
However I have been noticing that the inlet sensor most of the time has the same temperature as the battery which should not be the case. When I am freezing in the cabin because of the AC blasting inside and my manual thermometer shows something below 20 degrees under the seat, the kia soul spy says that the inlet temperature is 30 (as high as the battery). Obviously fan status is FAN_STOP in such moment. Is it normal?

Hi Spirit.

I believe there only one air temperature sensor and it is located inside battery enclosure. As you describe battery temperature is almost identical to cell temperatures on most situations. Some personal observations in past years:

-Battery temperature sensor is located inside battery, As you mentionned, using AC on hot days will not affect reading.

-Sensor is also reffered to "air inlet temperature sensor" in Kia technical documentation. It is connected to BMS and likely located (could not locate exact sensor position) in from of battery pack in air flow path from seats.

-Only time temperature ceel and batt temps differs is when battery cooler fan is running (cell temperature ovec 30degC) and cool air is introduced into battery. Usually it happens when I use fast charge. Usally I get 2@3 degC hotter than cabin temp.

-If battery air temperature and cell temperatures are high, battery cooling fan would not run even if cabin is cooled by AC. It is weird but rarely happen here in Canada, I also think reading cabin temperature would be more effective but probably BMS does not have cabin temp data.

By the way,I had few images to share form KIA litterature, but seems difficult (at least for me) to insert in conversation. If someone knows tricks please let me know.

YpinEV said:
890 time=1658693179 user_id=1732]
[/img]Hi Spirit.

By the way,I had few images to share form KIA litterature, but seems difficult (at least for me) to insert in conversation. If someone knows tricks please let me know.

You first have to host your image on a publicly accessible site. I use Imgur, which will show a screen like the one below, when you click the hosted image.

PW6vSHM.jpg

Now click the Copy button against BBCode, and paste the copied code (using CTRL-V) into your post where you want the image to appear. Preview to check it's what you want.

Thank you YpinEV for sharing your observation. Indeed it's very weird that the car is not able to use the cooled cabin air when it needs it. BTW, are you from Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu?

Back