Can a 6yo 2016 KIA Soul EV report SOH 100%?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectroSoul

Hi,

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

My 2016 KIA Soul EV, with 51,000 miles in April my capacity dropped from around 22 kWh to 15 hWh in about two weeks, and I don't know why.

I have been to two KIA dealers in the SF Bay Area, three times, they tell me nothing is wrong. There are no error codes.

But, better they report three times that the State of Health (SOH) is 100% on the Kia Diagnostic System.

Is this the normal response of the dealers?

Am I approaching them wrongly?

One month I was able to drive 70 miles, and now less than 45 miles I get warning lights.

Any advice?

-John
Oakland CA

I think someone even reported a dealer measuring the 12V SoH rather than the main traction battery SoH. Definitely print out that TSB linked above, take it in, and ask for a copy of the screenshots showing the battery state.

notfred said:
I think someone even reported a dealer measuring the 12V SoH rather than the main traction battery SoH. Definitely print out that TSB linked above, take it in, and ask for a copy of the screenshots showing the battery state.
That happened to me. But I suspect it’s the “resetting the BMS before taking the reading even though KIA says don’t do it that way” situation.

I once had a guy at the Dealer tell me that the state of charge and the state of health were the same thing.

My 2016 Kia Soul went through pretty much the same dramatic drop in range about a year ago reporting 100% SOH then suddenly dropping to 55% SOH or about 80km range; Fortunately the dealership did the testing before resetting the battery management system and got Kia Canada approval for the replacement very quickly; Only problem was the 8 month wait for the battery to be delivered. All was going well with the new battery now getting a real summer range of around 190km until last week when the car refused to charge. Dealership diagnosed OBC failure and is getting a new one shipped in next week. Fingers crossed that this is the last of our issues as we love our Kia

From this blog it seems like the early Soul EV's had both battery and OBC problems that have been fixed on later generations of the car. Fortunately the 8 year warranty on the battery and drive train covers to OBC but its still a major inconvenience, especially as this is our only car.

Back