2015 soul (ev) display unit - infotainment

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jb123

Short version: can the gas version display unit 'work' in ev model? Has anyone gotten an aftermarket system to work?

My infotainment display unit is stuck in a boot-loop. Never gets past the "Kia" startup screen. After 30 secs, it reboots with a distortion click coming out of the speakers. New unit is $4k. No way!
On a whim I bought a 2015 soul gas display unit, hoping that everything would work except the EV feedback stuff. Which is fine for me. I just want a working stereo. Everything connected and seems to work, but no sound is coming out of the speakers. Can find wiring diagrams for both to see if I just need to move a pin over or something.
Please don't tell me I'm risky and dumb, I got that, just trying to get a working stereo on the mostly rundown commuter. Don't want an audio shop to charge me arm and a leg if its a simple pin change.

-

Yes. It has been done before.
I think it was a Singapore dealer who added a generic Android Tablet to replace the standard display because Kia had no local map.
( And yes you lose all the EV features, like setting the charge time )
-

Found this thread because my display just started glitching (hottest interior temperature day for the car yet this year). I'm thinking that because the display screen is the only way to manage charging sessions, it should be covered under the 10 year/100,000 mile "EV SYSTEM" warranty. Anybody tried that yet?
My 2016 has 95k miles, so I'll need to move fast. (got a battery replacement last summer)

jray3 said:
...it should be covered under the 10 year/100,000 mile "EV SYSTEM" warranty. Anybody tried that yet?
My 2016 has 95k miles, so I'll need to move fast. (got a battery replacement last summer)

#Jray3 Please let us know if they accept the repair under warranty.

Fortunately or not, the glitchy screen only happened once or twice and has not reappeared, so no chance of a warranty claim on a fault that can't be demonstrated. Also, I found the following disclaimer in the warranty section of our manual.
"An original equipment radio or navigation system is
covered for the first 36 months/36,000 miles."
Of course, it could be argued that the display is part of the "EV System", but I think odds would be low.

Back