Connecting car WiFi with home WiFi

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

What's the point? Have their been any over the air updates to the car (such as what Tesla does)?

Thanks - Ray

Ray said:
What's the point? Have their been any over the air updates to the car (such as what Tesla does)?

Thanks - Ray

I have not found anything.
I expected connecting to the Uvo app would be more reliable, but it doesn't seem to be.

From what I have heard, other cars cannot have OTA updates like Tesla because it breaks the manufacturer/dealership model.
Something about "it violates some stipulation that it's illegal for the manufacturer to compete with dealerships when it comes to sales AND servicing of cars."

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/43hgwt/i_just_came_back_from_a_bmw_dealership_for_a/

I have not done much the the wifi on my soul but I had the same system in my '15 Optima Hybrid and the way I understood it it was (supposed) to be the way the additional apps can connect to the Internet. btw, when will they come out with new apps. I was able to set the system to connect to my iPhone set up as a hotspot so using my phones LTE, but then it is blocked when you are in drive, so again why. I currently know of only Yelp that you can download and install and that I did use though my phone's hotspot.

I do not think it was designed for updates of the car, that would be great if it was though.

Thanks. I think I might just disable the feature. I use my iPhone, connected via bluetooth, for just about everything anyway, including Yelp, maps, turn-by-turn directions, podcasts, etc.

Ray

I don't know how useful it is to connect to home wifi, but I think it was meant to connect to your phone or tablet's mobile hotspot. At least that's what the instructions I saw seemed to suggest. Can't remember where now, but they said "connect to your phone's mobile wifi hotspot." or something like that.

The only use I find for connecting the car to my home's wifi is that when loading a destination into the GPS while sitting in the garage, it pulls traffic data from XM faster than over the car's 3G modem.

Otherwise the wifi is totally useless, but there's no harm in connecting it. I, too, hoped that it would provide for faster connection times from the remote app (when the car is in the garage) or head unit software updates or something, but clearly it doesn't do that.

It appears that the original intention was to provide a catalog of in-vehicle apps that could be downloaded to the car and used when out and about. How this could be more useful than using the same apps on my smartphone is beyond me, but the architecture seems to have been set up for that purpose. Then of course CarPlay and Android Auto came along and negated any benefit for the Hyundai group to pursue this and we're left with this sad graveyard with a Yelp headstone.

mtndrew1 said:
....we're left with this sad graveyard with a Yelp headstone.
The same is true here. We don't get Yelp, we get the useless Tracking Note and Hyundai Card apps. Although I did see this on the Tracking Note info screen.
2vjv6zn.jpg

The only way you can get the Yelp app is to work is through Wi-fi. There are xfinity wifi hotspots all over the place but there seems to be no place to put in your login information after you connect. They are open wifi hotspots all over the US, but after you connect a page comes up where you put in your login and password. There seems to be no way to connect the KIA system to them, since no page pops up for your info.

While we all think that the wifi functionality in our cars is totally useless, that is not what the experts think. Kia commissioned a study to show that -

...The estimation results show that consumers have the largest willingness-to-pay for wireless internet in a smart car (KRW 1.7 million; ~USD 1,508.43). The second largest WTP (KRW 1.6 million; ~USD 1,419.70) is for connectivity in a smart vehicle. According to these results, consumers have a relatively large WTP for smart options that could leverage the capabilities of their smart devices such as smartphones and tablets. In the context of autonomous driving, if speed control is included in a smart car without the function of lane keeping, consumers are willing to pay 0.9 million KRW (USD 798.58). In other words, the functions of wireless internet and connectivity are relatively more important than autonomous driving, voice command, and smart applications...

From - CONSUMER PREFERENCES AND WILLINGNESS TO PAY FOR ADVANCED VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY OPTIONS AND FUEL TYPES

the only WIFI enabled app is Yelp, and I believe The idea was to connect your car while charging to a Netflix type solution and stream while sitting charging. It never materialized and therefore a dead end. A waste really. From a safety perspective, it doesn't work while driving, as in connecting it to your phone's wifi hotspot. So there's only static solutions on apps that don't exist. Netflix while charging.... Engineers were ahead of their time and somewhere along the line, sales and marketing couldn't deliver the solution.

Back