lneesbye

Strange buying opportunity

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:53 am

So, I am really interested in purchasing a Soul EV and unfortunately, I can't really wait until next year for the 2020.

But one of my local dealers has two for sale. But I'm a little concerned because one has 55 miles (yep 55) and the other 550 miles. This is an authorized KIA dealer and they have a mileage report. The dealer told me they were part of a fleet program and just got turned in....

Anything I should be asking them specifically since the batteries have been sitting for a while?

Some used KIAs I see for sale are 'certified', but these are not. I don't really know what that means anyway.

Many thanks in advance,

Lene

Calaveras

Re: Strange buying opportunity

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:18 pm

What month was in manufactured?
What is the vehicle history on Carfax?
Has it been sitting fully charged in a Dealer lot in a hot climate?
Are they selling them as new or used? Will you be able to use the tax cr dit I r was it used already?
Big price break?
Seems suspicious, but I bought a 2016 Nissan Leaf in early 2017 with less than 1,000 miles.
I put 30,000 miles on it with no issues and little degradation of the battery capacity.
2016 Leaf S bought used in 2017 24 kWh no QC
2017 Soul EV + bought in 2019 for spouse.
Daily commute is 55 miles round trip with a 1,900 foot elevation climb on the way home. Gold Country California

Tcalp

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:36 pm

lneesbye wrote:Anything I should be asking them specifically since the batteries have been sitting for a while?

Some used KIAs I see for sale are 'certified', but these are not. I don't really know what that means anyway.

Certified typically just means that it is being delivered to standards for the state/province it is selling (aka per-inspected), generally you can assume this from a dealer as long as they are not stating 'as is'. I would ask if they can fully charge it up, and if you can take it out on a long drive to see how the battery fairs.

lneesbye

Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Yep, I agree it is a little suspicious. But I'm pretty convinced that it was some type of fleet car. (It had a little label with a 1 next to the start button, a 2 next to the shifter, a 3 next to the parking break, and a 4 next to the range gauge :-) And I looked at the drive history log and it has barely moved! The dealer 'doesn't' know much about other than it was turned in, off a lease. I'm going to guess that it was sitting being charged in a garage (paint looks good).

The mechanic who is EV certified said that the battery health indicated 100%. But I don't know whether that 100% would show even if the battery only had 50 miles of range....

This dealer doesn't even have a place to charge it except in their detail department. When I drove it, it said 50 miles of range, but the charge gauge was at about 75%. I don't know what that tells me. But on the short ride I took (5 miles), it dropped one mile of range for every mile traveled (pretty level ground - and super hot).

I asked that it be charged fully and to go and drive it for a longer time (10-15 miles).

It is being sold as used - no tax credit. But it is for sale for $14K.

On the Carfax, the dealer sent me a competing report to Carfax....

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. It is much appreciated!

Lene

Calaveras wrote:What month was in manufactured?
What is the vehicle history on Carfax?
Has it been sitting fully charged in a Dealer lot in a hot climate?
Are they selling them as new or used? Will you be able to use the tax cr dit I r was it used already?
Big price break?
Seems suspicious, but I bought a 2016 Nissan Leaf in early 2017 with less than 1,000 miles.
I put 30,000 miles on it with no issues and little degradation of the battery capacity.

lneesbye

Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm going to ask them to let me drive it for about 10-15 miles to see what happens.

The mechanic who is EV certified said that the battery health indicated 100%. But I don't know whether that 100% would show even if the battery only had 50 miles of range....

This dealer doesn't even have a place to charge it except in their detail department. When I drove it, it said 50 miles of range, but the charge gauge was at about 75%. I don't know what that tells me. But on the short ride I took (5 miles), it dropped one mile of range for every mile traveled (pretty level ground - and super hot).

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. It is much appreciated!

Lene

Certified typically just means that it is being delivered to standards for the state/province it is selling (aka per-inspected), generally you can assume this from a dealer as long as they are not stating 'as is'. I would ask if they can fully charge it up, and if you can take it out on a long drive to see how the battery fairs.[/quote]

warren55

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:54 pm

I highly recommend that you download the Soul Spy app and get an appropriate dongle, assuming you have an Android device you can pair it to. It will give you a good idea what the battery condition is. Bear in mind that there is a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the battery in the U.S., which transfers to all owners.
Where are you located? $14K is a pretty good price. That's what I paid for mine a few months ago with 8500 miles on it.

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”