Kia Level 1 charger going into FAULT after about an hour

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjdel

Anyone else experienced their Kia level 1 charger going into fault on a regular basis?
Mine seems to do this after about an hour or two, making overnight charging impossible.
I do not have another outlet to try, so it makes it hard to determine if has anything to do with my outlet.

I've had a similar issue when using my father's Juicebox level 2 EVSE -- sometimes my Soul will charge for a few hours, sometimes just for a few minutes, but rarely will it charge to 100%. However, my car charges to 100% on the level 1 EVSE that came with the car and the level 2 EVSE at the Kia dealership, so I've assumed it may be an issue with the Juicebox (an EVSE that comes in a kit and is assembled by the owner).

Have you taken your car to the dealer for a diagnostic check?

No, I have not taken it in yet...just have not allocated the time. I will post if I learn anything.

My guess is voltage sag on that circuit. Is there ANYTHING else plugged into the same circuit as the car?

The car maxes out the safe capability of a 15A 120V circuit, if anything else were to come on drawing from it the voltage could sag and the charge cord will fault out to keep your house from burning down.

I agree with your assessment. Today I hooked it up at work, all worked fine until an employee turned on a large drill on the same circuit...it went right to FAULT. We did this a few times to verify. We moved the drill to another circuit, and it has been charging fine all day.
So... I need to get a better idea of what may be on the circuit at home.

Well, despite the recommendation not to use extension cords, I ran a heavy duty 3x10gauge drop cord from another outlet on another circuit. Car charged all night to 100% without going into fault.
Seems like it was the original outlet/circuit.
So far so good.

Back