Miles per kwh consumption dropping.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBM71

After almost one month of driving the Soul EV I was averaging 4.4 kwh per mile.
After re-charging it on 11/25 at a Chargepoint the consumption dropped substantially to 2.4kwh per mile for the next two short trips, then the average went up to 3.8kwh. It's been several day and the average still at about 3.7 to 3.8kwh.
My driving habits are the same, I usually drive it on B as I don't do freeways really often.
What would be the cause of the consumption dropping?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ambient temperature, tire pressure, and average speed are the biggest factors in miles/kWh. A drop of ten degrees, drop of five PSI, and an increase in average speed of five MPH will clobber your average consumption. It's probably some combination of those.

Temperature have changed the last 2 to 3 weeks here in SO CAL, there's a drop of about 20 degrees, I'll double check the tire pressure tomorrow, about my speed I'm driving as usual.
Thanks!

mtndrew1 said:
Ambient temperature, tire pressure, and average speed are the biggest factors in miles/kWh. A drop of ten degrees, drop of five PSI, and an increase in average speed of five MPH will clobber your average consumption. It's probably some combination of those.

Climate controls can have a big effect.
Use the seat and steering wheel warmers to keep the miles per kW up.
Batteries can loose efficiency in colder weather.
I can get 5.4 to 5.7 around town and 5.0 to 5.2 at 55mph.
But with the climate controls on and running 70+mph, she drops right into the mid 3's.
Any change in speed has a big effect.

Back