Costs to charge Soul EV in DWP Los Angeles

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mknight

Hi,

Im new to EVs, about to purchase my Soul EV real soon.

And wanted to get real life feedback from any of you in the Los Angeles area on the DWP electric service.

If I don't install any special meter or such and just let the Soul add on to my bill, I am probably going to use most of the power in Tier 3 which is the most expensive rate - especially in summer when running a lot of A/C already.

Any idea to what it will cost to charge up the car - from empty to full?
I am guesstimating its about 5 hours of 6600 W @ about 16c a kilowat

Any and all feedback is welcomed :)

Thanks,

Michael

mknight said:
Any idea to what it will cost to charge up the car - from empty to full?
I am guesstimating its about 5 hours of 6600 W @ about 16c a kilowat
The most I ever loaded into my Kia in one go is 28,1 kWh. Well, that's not true, but I don't have a record of the This was from 10% charge untill 100% charge. Actually it also included some pre-heating in the morning, but that was probably around 1 kWh. The charging was done at the maximum it takes at 240V. I live in Europe, but I have a dedicate 32A circuit for charging my Soul. I think the my Soul charges at a maximum of about 28A (6,7kW).

I don't know what a kWh will cost in the USA, here can depend on the time of day (nighttime is cheaper than daytime) and the energy provider. Usually it's somewhere around 20 euro cent per kWh (currently that's about 22 dollar cent).

I'm on DWP and have switched the entire house to "whole house TOU." They just come swap your meter out.

There is an $8/mo fee for the TOU meter which gobbles up some of the savings, but it's still worth it. Any time after 8 PM and all day on weekends is the lowest $/kWh with no limit on usage.

mtndrew1 said:
I'm on DWP and have switched the entire house to "whole house TOU." They just come swap your meter out.

There is an $8/mo fee for the TOU meter which gobbles up some of the savings, but it's still worth it. Any time after 8 PM and all day on weekends is the lowest $/kWh with no limit on usage.

Great, thanks for the response. Do you know how much it actually saved you overall? E.g. - 5, 20% from your previous bills?

Back