Sudden Loss of Range

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddubowits

I live in Vancouver. Back in November, my EV's estimated range was suddenly down to 115km, down from the usual 145 or more, after a night of charging.

I talked to the dealer, and he said it was because of winter. I can't accept his argument, because the car is kept in an underground parking stall, where the temperature is always about 14C. The car has no idea if it's any colder outside.

Is the dealer simply trying to avoid a warranty repair? I can't see how the estimated range suddenly dropped from a constant 145km to 115 or less simply because of the time of year - especially since our winters are quite mild (coldest: 10C.

Anybody else having the same issue?

Dwight

I am in Seattle, and have had my Soul since Oct. We park outside.
We did lose range, but it is going back up now.

Lowest it got this winter was 69 miles (111km), now I usually have 85 miles (136km). I expect it to continue to go up as summer comes.

I've had similar observations here in Toronto, but the coldest it got was around -25c for a couple days. Range seems to be increasing now too.

I wonder how much of the "loss" is guess-o-meter and how much is "real". Didn't feel like getting stranded in the cold so I never really pushed it to find out. I usually just go my kw/km and percent on longer trip planning.

The range prediction isn't solely based on ambient temperature, so even if your garage is heated to summertime temps it won't matter if you're out and about driving in cold weather.

Cold air is denser which takes more energy to move through. Cold tires and pavement result in higher rolling resistance and decrease tire pressure, a compound effect. Precipitation increases rolling resistance and demands wipers and defogging. HVAC use, even with a ten degree delta, is a substantial drain on range.

You're seeing normal range prediction adjustments due to the conditions. Come summertime, it'll feel like magic when your range pops back up.

I live in Everett, WA. although I did not have my car for 3 month, it was down to 65 miles but now up to 83. From what I hear it is common for EV's to do this.

I'm seeing the same thing. All seems normal as far as EVs are concerned. My low was 69mi on one day the rest has been over that and that is with climate control set to Auto. Lately it has been up to 85mi and last week the trip and GOM values added up to 93mi when I stopped to charge. IIRC the battery was at 28% or so before charging.

Back