Which Bosch charger?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

We just got our Soul EV two days ago. Loving it so far, but trying to figure out which Bosch charger we should get. We get a "free" (as in pay for shipping and installation only) 240V, 16A wall charger, but we have the option of paying extra to upgrade to a 240V, 30A wall charger. The lady at Bosch said the increase in amps doesn't make a difference for all cars, but she couldn't tell me whether the 30A model was faster for the Soul EV or not. She said that if we had a 3.3-3.7 kW charger on the car, then it would make no difference, but if we had a 7.2 kW charger, then the 30A would be faster. Our Soul EV owner's manual says "CHARGER (OBC) - Max. Output (KW) - 6.6". I'm guessing this means the on-board charger (OBC?) is 6.6 kW, which is much closer to the 7.2 kW that Bosch referred to than to 3.3-3.7 kW, but I'm not 100% sure, and my wife wants me to be 100% sure before spending extra money. Is there anyone here with enough technical knowledge to advice whether it's worth getting the upgraded charger?

Yes, it is worth it, the Soul EV will use the extra amps. I paid the extra for the 30A Bosch and then had a local master electrician that I know install it.

i just had the Bosch 30 amp installed the total conversion with extra cost and shipping came to $386.00 CDN
shipping to Burlington, ON

to have it installed it cost me $791.00 CDN but i needed like 30 ft of the steel covered line to get to the end of the garage.

In the US, my power company gave a rebate of $500 for my EVSE, and I was able to claim $200 on my taxes.

Yes, get the larger size. The Kia will take advantage of it.

It has also been discovered that for some dumb reason the 2016 Kia Soul EV had its charging rate set to approximately 10% slower than what the EVSE tells it that it can use. This means that with my 20A EVSE only gives me a measured 18.4A charge rate. :( When I connect to an EVSE which signals more than what the OBC can use it runs at full power. Getting the 30A EVSE is your best bet at getting the fastest charge rate at home. It is most likely worth the money for those times you realize you just need a little faster charge rate than that 3.3kW EVSE will provide. Unless the Canada version wasn't de-rated like the US version you will only get about 14.5A out of the 16A EVSE meaning only 3.4kW.

nibularr said:
i just had the Bosch 30 amp installed the total conversion with extra cost and shipping came to $386.00 CDN
shipping to Burlington, ON

to have it installed it cost me $791.00 CDN but i needed like 30 ft of the steel covered line to get to the end of the garage.

Hi nibularr does this qualify for the installation rebate? I didn't see Bosch on the list of chargers. I think one of the requirements is it has to be from a Canadian supplier. Even if the charger is freeish, I'm not sure if 50% cost of installation was covered up to $500.

If it's not covered I might consider another model instead. Thanks.

I am trying to get one right now and he is asking for coupon.
I didn't even send them VIN. So yes coupen seems to be required.

from what i have read from people saying it doesnt get the ontario rebate but i figured the $595 rebate enough.. i since wonder if i should have bought a EVSE with wifi to monitor more info since the bosch is so basic.

i have been debating sending in the evse rebate to see if i will get money back for the installation part.
i bought my soul in January got the $8500.00 back in April and waiting on the new bonus portion.

from my dealings with bosch all i had to do was write my vin on the rebate card and email it into the bosch rep
i believe all they do is register it by the VIN anyway.

i have a copy of the voucher in PDF form that is blank if anybody needs a copy send me your email address in msg.

Bosch sales rep sent me a sample image of the voucher.
I can only find a single number in the lower right corner and of course VIN field.
I think these vouchers do have unique serial numbers (lower right corner).
Otherwise it would be open to abuse, very easy to cheat.

So I don't think single voucher can be re-used multiple times.

PS: To clarify cheating risk, say I have a Leaf. I find a Kia owner who bought another station. I simply use his VIN and copy voucher from web.

In Ontario go to the government web site and print the form. It shows a list of chargers that give rebates. Needs to be properly installed and a ESA certificate given to get the full rebate. Link added http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

nibularr said:
from what i have read from people saying it doesnt get the ontario rebate but i figured the $595 rebate enough.. /quote]

I thought you already had it installed so I, confused at your statement. Because for the EVSE rebate to work in Ontario, the hardware needs to qualify in order to get the installation credit as well. So you get 50% of the EVSE up to $500 and 50% of installation up to $500. So even if the EVSE is free the installation will lot qualify if the unit was not on the list (which it isn't). I had an installation quote already for around $1300 for my house.

The guy I spoke to at Bosch made it sound like it was simple and he would help with the rebate. But the problem is you need to get the work done then then submit the claim after. I don't want to find out I got denied after the work is done.

Back