JejuSoul

Comparison Of Fuel Economy for Battery Electric Vehicles

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:36 am

According to the U.S. Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity the Soul EV is the second most economical EV, just behind the BMW i3.

Source: http://avt.inl.gov/fsev.shtml
Information in Wh / Miles
i3: 261
Soul EV: 264
Leaf: 279
Spark: 290
i-MiEV: 299
Smart: 326
Ford Focus: 347

I found this posted at the German Leaf Owner's Forum here http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/kia-s ... 12287.html

I found another article at the AVTA much more interesting. But its about the Nissan Leaf 2012 so may be less relevant to Soul EV.
Effects of Electric Vehicle Fast Charging on Battery Life and Vehicle Performance
http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/energystorage/Fa ... ffects.pdf
The main point was to avoid heavy driving during the summer in Phoenix, Arizona. (It is very hot there!)
Battery degradation for both slow charging and fast charging was substantial with high ambient temperatures.
Pure fast charging is slightly worse than pure slow charging.

Just found another set of data supporting the conclusion: Pure fast charging is slightly worse than pure slow charging.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/05 ... y-pac.html

Code: Select all

Mitsubishi tested the cycle life of the pack under standard (50 A) and quick charge (120 A) conditions using the JC08 driving pattern and found that the pack retained 84% of capacity with quick charging and 83% with standard charging after 1,000 cycles.
Last edited by JejuSoul on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Birkeland

Re: Comparison Of Fuel Economy for Battery Electric Vehicles

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:45 am

Thanks for this:)

From what I can see from the data, the average range for the Soul EV is 165km on a full charge (100 miles). Not bad:)
Owner of a 2015 KIA Soul Exclusive, Titanium Silver

JejuSoul

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:53 am

I get the same result - using the following math. Is this how you got your result?
Usable battery capacity = 27.5 kWh = 27500 Wh
Average used per mile = 264 Wh
Average range = 27500/264 = 104 miles = 167 kilometers.

This seems quite good to me because the cars are being tested in Phoenix Arizona. The probable regimen is
Each vehicle was operated with the automatic climate control enabled
and set at 72°F such that heat or air conditioning would
automatically maintain a comfortable cabin environment, constantly between
vehicles. Drivers were instructed to drive with the flow of traffic,
and to follow a set route consisting of highway and city portions.

The results so far are for the six months up to June. Given that the weather is much hotter in the summer I think the average range will take a big hit. Will be interesting to see if the Soul overtakes the i3 because of the better HVAC.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JejuSoul

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:24 am

JejuSoul wrote:The results so far are for the six months up to June. Given that the weather is much hotter in the summer I think the average range will take a big hit.
Yep! The latest data is now up. The 3 summer months have been added.
The cumulative average electricity consumption for the Soul is 305.5 AC Wh/mile. (was 264). !!

This is much worse than it looks because that is a cumulative average.
The summer months only represent a third of the tested miles so far.
It indicates a drop from 105 miles of range to only 70 during the 3 summer months.
Puzzling because my Soul did not suffer such a huge loss of range in the summer here.
I saw a drop from 130 miles at 20c to 120 at 30c during the 3 summer months.
I didn't drive in August when the temperature got up to 38c
What was the temperature in Phoenix this summer?

But I was wrong about the BMW. The performance is now 269.7 AC Wh/mile ( was 261)
Conclusion: the BMW performs well in the summer heat, the Soul doesn't. In fact the results for the Soul are much worse than I expected.
I wonder if Phoenix has a cold enough winter to give us a comparison for extreme cold.

JejuSoul

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:16 am

The new table of fleet test results.

Source: http://avt.inl.gov/fsev.shtml
Information in Wh / Miles
i3: 269.7
LEAF: 290.1
Soul EV: 305.5
i-MiEV: 319.0
Spark: 326.1
Smart: 333.6
Ford Focus: 359.5

Birkeland

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:39 pm

This is quite contradictory to my findings, and my understanding of range on EVs in the summer. The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is the high rate of battery degradation in Phoenix Arizona as this link explains:

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery_Capacity_Loss

Since the battery degradation is so rapid in Phoenix, the internal resistance in the battery must go up rapidly as well, so that could explain the increased value in watt usage/mile.

I live in Norway which should be quite advantageously for the battery (see the same link), and I wish I had the tool to get the min/max deterioration data from my batterypack.

Note that the battery chemistry described in the link provided is different from Kia Soul EVs, but Li-ion batteries tend to have pretty much the same properties. I wish Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity soon would update the battery testing data sheet for their 4 Kia Soul EVs so we could get the battery degradation data. Considered the total range the cars have driven, the testing should allready have been performed, but the data is not updated yet.
Owner of a 2015 KIA Soul Exclusive, Titanium Silver

JejuSoul

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:43 am

Here is an image from FleetCarma showing how Nissan Leaf electric-car battery range varies with temperature.

A 25% drop is to be expected as the temperature rises from 20c to 35c.
This is not degradation of the battery, just how Li ion batteries perform at different temperatures.
The 4 Souls in the data above dropped by about 30%. We don't know what the temperature was.
The surprise is that of the different cars tested the Soul had the worst performance drop in the summer.
(That my be statistical artefact because the others have been tested for longer - will check)

Tom

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:23 am

The KIA Soul EV is very well insulated so this can not be the reason.
Also cooling both car the same way.
But the KIA was driven during the peak temperatur saison 1000 miles more per month then the i3 and this can make easily the 2.2kWh per 100km more in average.
Also is cooling a factor of time and not a factor of milage.
But most energie will be used to cool down your heated up car from 60 to 25C during peak saison and not so from 40 to 22 during spring time.
So maybe they did not drive so often the i3 during peak saison because it is not cooling so good?

This fact sheet tells us (I tooked one by random):
On-Road Usage and Performance Summary for 2013 Nissan Leaf S VIN 9270
Reporting Period: January 2014 through September 2015

Average trip distance (mi) 3.8

Good luck to cool down you car every trip and as I wrote......the i3 did much less then the Soul during hot summer month
KIA Soul EV with vented seats and Chademo
Until July 2015 i-MiEV 13'500km
Summer 2015; Sold my all year arround used Cadillac Seville STS

JejuSoul

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:43 pm

The Soul Ev does not sell in Arizona, but we do have a thread on this forum with owners who have imported cars from California.
A comment from June 25th this year.
tractioninc wrote:
jstack6 wrote:We have at least 3 of us that have the new SOUL EV in the greater Phoenix area. We ordered them from California. We will be doing extensive HEAT testing and measure the battery capacity to be sure it can take our HEAT.

I see that the high today in Phoenix is 112 F (44 C). This year has been a scorcher! Do you guys have an update on how your cars are coping?

So Phoenix was very hot indeed again this summer.
As yet there was no report back on how the cars did. see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=218

JejuSoul

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Tom wrote:... Also cooling both car the same way. ...

The battery cooling system for the Soul EV is Active - Forced Air
We discuss it here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=135&start=180

The BMW i3 battery cooling system is Refrigerant Cooled
This is discussed here http://insideevs.com/bmw-lg-chem-trump- ... ent-bower/

I think the BMW i3 has the better system for very hot weather.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”