Switching Rims

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFFarm

Just looking to see what people's opinions are on swapping out the factory wheels for an after market rim. My plan was to use the stock ones for the winter (with snow/ice tires)and switch to a black 17", lighter weight, less aerodynamic (larger spacing between spokes), but same overall diameter with summer LRR tires.

How much do you really think you gain from an aerodynamic rim? I've switched rims on most of the vehicles I've owned, and when going to a lighter mag wheel you notice a little better acceleration but no real change to MPG.

I'm planning to test it out anyway but if anyone has any feedback, please chime in.

For sure. Once the car actually shows up I'll start fishing around for a suitable wheel. I really can't see the factory wheel impacting it that significantly. Maybe a couple km's. What I'm thinking will be impacted most would be the regen braking with a lighter wheel. It may make the braking more aggressive but less power generated with the lighter then OEM wheels.

TireRack indicates that the wheel options for the Soul EV are the same as other Soul models (great news!) -- and carries more than 300 wheel options for these cars.

I think the stock rims might fit on a Nissan Leaf. If I could get a set cheap enough and it would work I'd be interested in making that switch.

Actually reading further it looks like the faceplate is removable and not actually part of the rim. If so I'd appreciate any info so I could try buying just the faceplate to put on a Leaf.

I wonder if it will go like the "aero/beauty ring" on the Prius that some will remove because they prefer the open rim look. If so maybe I could grab some used ones.

The white wheel inserts are my least favorite thing about my Soul EV -- I'm seriously considering painting them silver to match the rest of the wheel. All five inserts are removable via nuts secured from the back side of the wheel, but removing the inserts exposes those unattractive holes.

I wonder if the aero drag would be offset by the lower inertia of a lighter wheel? I've spent some time on TireRack looking through wheel options, but at the moment I don't have the budget for a new set of wheels and tires. Let us know what you decide.

I haven't posted a picture because I can't figure out how, but I did end up switching the factory wheels out with a 16" 17lb open spoke rim. Did not change my range or kw/100 at all. So if you dont like the look of the aerodynamic pizza dish wheels, then swap them out with something equally light. I didn't verify the weight of the stock wheels but just by handling, they seem heavier then the replacement aftermarket wheels. So they really aren't that light....just aerodynamic.

Also regarding the center plates on the stock wheels, they screw in from the back side of the rim. You can remove the plastic insert but the rim looks like it's missing something after. But you could easily remove them to paint them if you'd like

Nice--we'd love to see photos of your car! You can use a free service like Photobucket or Tumblr (or myrid others) to host photos so that you can link to them here.

Back