beanman

Re: Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016

Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm

I took ownership of the 2016 former-cab today.

I am happy I made the reversing of the electronics modifications (and reconnecting the antennas) a condition of sale. I don't mind small projects but rather have paid a bit more to make it their problem. The front USB and aux ports are back and working.

My own mechanic suggested the rear suspension and front brakes were done. The dealers mechanic replaced those and the wipers for the safety certificate.

When I first saw it two weeks ago, the dealer already had paid a contractor to pull the bars off the roof and plug+silicone the holes.

The plugs are not attractive and there's still minor dents in the roof. I think I'm going to try a vinyl roof wrap. I expect I will still see the plug impressions but it's better than a mix of grey and black plugs on the blue roof and I don't love the blue.

119,000kms and the bms still shows a SOH of 110%. Trickle charging it back up now and will likely try again to drain to 20% to force a calibration. Kia said they only have record of a warranty AC/heating replacement of some kind and various firmware resets back in 2017. No new battery.

I believe the tire pressure sensors, which read 0 on soulspy, may not be connected in these upgraded all weather/ev specific tires. I'm not sure if I can read tire sensors on the dash infotainment system. I just had time to pair my phone this evening.

I would love to order two replacement trim pieces if I knew where. The one site I found doesn't deliver to Canada. I am going to the US for a wedding in a few weeks... also need a second FOB.

warren55

Sat May 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Most of the friends I have in Canada have set up PO boxes or something similar in the US for mail order stuff. They certainly punish you to ship things there it seems. There seems to be a lot of vendors that ship OEM parts down here, but I haven't checked if they ship to you. https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/k ... JpYw%3D%3D

ksoul2084

Sun May 26, 2019 4:52 am

Congratulations!

beanman wrote:When I first saw it two weeks ago, the dealer already had paid a contractor to pull the bars off the roof and plug+silicone the holes.

The plugs are not attractive and there's still minor dents in the roof. I think I'm going to try a vinyl roof wrap. I expect I will still see the plug impressions but it's better than a mix of grey and black plugs on the blue roof and I don't love the blue.

The wrap won't hide any imperfections/dents, etc. but would of course make the colour uniform. In fact, if it is shiny it might make the imperfections more noticeable vs the factory paint clearcoat.

beanman wrote:I would love to order two replacement trim pieces if I knew where. The one site I found doesn't deliver to Canada. I am going to the US for a wedding in a few weeks... also need a second FOB.

Shouldn't you be able to order these from any KIA dealer's parts dept.?

ksoul2084

Sun May 26, 2019 5:42 am

ksoul2084 wrote:
...the hood isn't wrapped with white, it is actually from a different vehicle, a 2018 according to the sticker on it. So it has the plain white paint instead of the metallic white on the rest of the car. Must have been in an accident at some point or otherwise got damaged. Because they wrapped their hoods with the teo green it wouldn't have mattered to them that it didn't match perfectly.

I'm starting to think the difference in paint between the hood and the rest of the white on the car might be factory. I've noticed the other teo soul ev's at the copart auction seem to have the same difference in their hoods. Also this pic also seems to show a contrast between the two whites: Image

Can anyone else confirm this?

beanman

Sun May 26, 2019 9:13 am

I've always understood that ordering from an oem parts supplier vs. A dealer saves up to 50 percent.

I think a new fob is $300 from KIA vs. About $150 oem

Can't tell ya anything about the finish of my hood besides that it's original and looks white like most of the rest of the car.

RickinSD

Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 pm

I bought a fob on ebay from Korea for $69 US, cost another $60 to get it programmed.

beanman

Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 am

Does anyone know if you can program a FOB yourself for the Soul EV? I'm assuming the Canadian version is the same as the US version but I'm not really sure.

And just to update: Soul EV Spy now is showing my Tire pressures. Perhaps the electronics guy working with the dealer reconnected something else as he was fixing the antennas and usb/aux ports. 36.5 36.75 37.25 and 30.5! Guess I better find and add more air to that tire.

Battery still showing SOH 110%. I assume I'll get the battery down to 20% for re-calibration by Friday.

warren55

Tue May 28, 2019 3:46 pm

As far as I know, only the dealer can program the FOB.
Wow, sounds like you might have a new battery or a very good one at least! I'm not sure how long it takes to recalbrate but it sounded like your mileage vs. your SOC was doing very well. So how much (if you don't mind saying) do you have invested in this?

ksoul2084

Wed May 29, 2019 5:49 am

RickinSD wrote:I bought a fob on ebay from Korea for $69 US, cost another $60 to get it programmed.

Mind sharing details on how you got it programmed so inexpensively?

beanman

Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 am

Happy to share some of my costs. I paid about 13k for the car plus tax, including the vinyl roof wrap going on this weekend. 2016 w/119000kms

So, 6 additional cabs were purchased through auction I understand last Wednesday. They are all 2016 just back from kia with refurbished batteries. I can't speak to the state of the cars otherwise. I know this because I was still in contact with some of the dealers I had been speaking with prior my purchase.

The cars are at a dealer in Mississauga and another in Oakville. If anyone can't find them on autotrader and is still interested, let me know.

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”