New tyres for Kia Soul 2018 EV car

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shikam

Hi

I own a 2018 Kia Soul EV and I'm looking to switch to summer tires. Currently, my car is equipped with Michelin Energy summer tires sized 205/60R16 92H, which are also the standard tire size of Kia Soul 2018 EV car (205/60R15 92H). I'm considering purchasing new tires, specifically 205/55R16, 205/65R16, and 215/65R16, but I'm unsure if they are compatible with my Kia Soul. Any insights or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I assume your statement " which are also the standard tire size of Kia Soul 2018 EV car (205/60R15 92H)" has a typo, and that it should be 205/60R16 .

I suggest you use the comparison feature of this calculator to see the effect of the changes you asked about. You will see that in all cases, you will get a speedometer error, which will affect not only the displayed speed but also the range estimate and m/kWh displayed. The variations in diameter will also affect the ride hight of the car - lower and higher. The last change you listed would also affect the width of the tyre, and could result in interference with the disk brakes.

Use of non-standard tyre size may also affect your insurance cover.

Unless you have a compelling reason to embrace these effects, I recommend you stay with the standard tyre size.

I assume your statement " which are also the standard tire size of Kia Soul 2018 EV car (205/60R15 92H)" has a typo, and that it should be 205/60R16 .

I suggest you use the comparison feature of this calculator to see the effect of the changes you asked about. You will see that in all cases, you will get a speedometer error, which will affect not only the displayed speed but also the range estimate and m/kWh displayed. The variations in diameter will also affect the ride hight of the car - lower and higher. The last change you listed would also affect the width of the tyre, and could result in interference with the disk brakes.

Use of non-standard tyre size may also affect your insurance cover.

Unless you have a compelling reason to embrace these effects, I recommend you stay with the standard tyre size.
Hi

Thank you for the thorough response. I've made the decision to opt for standard dimension tires, specifically the 205/60R16 92H, for my 2018 Kia Soul EV. Instead of premium options, I'm considering budget-friendly alternatives. At the moment, I'm leaning towards either the Minerva F209 or Sailun Artezza Elite tires. I'd greatly appreciate input from other users regarding their experiences with these tires. Additionally, any recommendations on budget tires that perform well in the typical rainy conditions of Norway would be valuable.

Regards

Shikam,

There are many good tires for our cars. Over my eight years of driving Soul EVs, I have sampled several. My favorite so far is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II, though they are discontinued and the same tire, version III, is not made in our size (though perhaps your wheel size is different from my 2016). I am a cheap person, I admit it. But I think what matters with tires is buying quality. This does three things for a low cost:

1) Gives you better stopping and turning power, potentially saving you from harm.
2) Lasts longer, potentially saving you money.
3) Rolls more smoothly, potentially increasing your range.

As I said, I usually prefer the immediate bargain to the longterm payoff. In this case, I don't. Remember that you are amortizing this purchase over three or even five years. Given that, premium tires amount to maybe 20 krone a day more than the cheapest tires and they keep you and your passengers safer. Buy the best you can.

Franz

Back