JejuSoul

Re: Battery Ageing Model

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:51 pm

guiacan wrote:New data points for the number junkies

Great. Thanks.

To get a better comparison with other users could you provide a bit more data.
How old is your car? When did you buy it?
How fast do you drive, how hard do you brake?
How hot does your area get in summer? How often do you use the AC.?
How cold does your area get in winter? How often did you use the heater?
How flat / mountainous is you daily drive?
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

guiacan

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:41 am

To get a better comparison with other users could you provide a bit more data.
How old is your car? When did you buy it?
The car arrived on the dealer lot in february 2017 where it was used as a demo car until I bought it in october 2017 with 7000km on the odo.

How fast do you drive, how hard do you brake?
For the daily commute, I rarely drive above 80km/h. Braking goes with the trafic :) but I try to maximise the use of the B mode so I mostly use the brake only for the last few km/h.

How hot does your area get in summer? How often do you use the AC.?
I saw over 40C a few time this summer which is really unusual. The AC was used a lot this summer. Normal temperature is about 25C in the summer.

How cold does your area get in winter? How often did you use the heater?
The lowest I saw was -33C. Normal temperature in the winter is anywhere between -5C to -25C. I use the heater for 6 months in a year.

How flat / mountainous is you daily drive?
Mostly flat

JejuSoul

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:54 am

-
guiacan thanks for the extra info. am hoping we see a pattern that helps explain why some cars are degrading so much faster than others.

and now for the bad news. More reports of severe degradation -

-

From Quebec - MY2015 , 87,000km, SOH at 57 % reported on : Facebook Soul EV - Quebec Forum

From Jeju - MY2014 , 120,000 km, SOH at 58.2 % reported on : Korean EV User Forum

From Germany - MY2015 , 105,000km, SOH at 69.7 % reported on : German Soul EV thread - GoingElectric.DE
-
Last edited by JejuSoul on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Elmil

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:33 am

Just had my car in for 105000km service and got new SOH reading from the KDS instrument:
Odometer: 106736km
SOH: 97.5%

My own readings from OBD:
Max det: 13.1
Min det: 11.4
Avg SOH: 97.8%
Kia Soul EV 2015 / 115,543 km Sold
Kia Soul EV 2019

RubberToe

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:19 am

Jeju,
My Soul is down to 79.1% SOH. I have the OBD installed running Torque Pro. I am willing to start collecting weekly data for entry into your spreadsheet if you would like to have my data. Reading this thread, it looks like most have not experienced degradation.

Let me know exactly what data I need to collect weekly from Torque Pro to provide, and if I can enter the data myself.

I have 32,000 miles and live in a warm area (Pasadena) of Southern California.

RubberToe

JejuSoul

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:56 am

RubberToe wrote:...My Soul is down to 79.1% SOH. ..

Hi RubberToe thanks for posting your data.
You will be able to get a free battery replacement once your degradation reaches 70% SOH.
I don't know why your car is degrading much faster than any of the cars reporting here.
I doubt Pasadena is that much hotter than where I live. ( Daily Summer Temps - Max 35C , Min 28C)
It is temps above 45C that destroy the battery fast. = Phoenix Arizona.

I think it will be 2 or 3 months before you get low enough to get the battery replacement, so am grateful you offered to take some OBDII data.
None of the regulars here have much degradation from usable capacity so we have nothing to explain what is going on.
There's about 20 cars with data from the last 3 years. Average odometer 48,500km. Average age 30 months. Average deterioration SOH = 100%
Note SOH = 100% means that the 10% buffer at the top has been lost over the years.

Originally it was only the Phoenix cars that were dying but now there are a lot of cars reporting battery problems at about 100,000km.
Possible reasons - driving fast, Charging to 100% SOC, Fast charging all the time ??? We don't know.

The first data I would like to check from your car is the 96 cell voltages. Could you have a look when the car is fully charged and see if one cell is way different from the rest. If so that cell has probably failed, and that is what is causing the problem.

RubberToe

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:38 am

Here is what I have so far. I didn't have the extended PIDs loaded for individual cell voltages, but I have that installed now and will head down to the car and see what they are. Can you tell from the below screen if there is something I should zero in on? Cell #73?

RubberToe

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:41 am

JejuSoul wrote:
RubberToe wrote:...My Soul is down to 79.1% SOH. ..

I doubt Pasadena is that much hotter than where I live. ( Daily Summer Temps - Max 35C , Min 28C)
It is temps above 45C that destroy the battery fast. = Phoenix Arizona.

A couple weeks ago we had a week of daily high temperatures of 37 C, it hit 43 one day I believe.

RT
Last edited by RubberToe on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RubberToe

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:53 am

All 96 cell voltages are reading either 4.1 or 4.08. I'm at 99.5% charge I believe.

RT

RubberToe

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 am

JejuSoul wrote:Possible reasons - driving fast, Charging to 100% SOC, Fast charging all the time ??? We don't know.

I don't typically drive over 65mph, not sure about the wife who has been driving mostly the last year.

She gets home from work and charges to 100% every night, parked in garage underground, her commute is about 25 miles each way.

Very unlikely the problem is DCFC, at least in my case. I probably only DCFC a total of <15 times in 4 years. Only did a single trip that required DCFC, that was 120 miles one way.

RT

Return to “Technical Discussions”