unclfuzzy

Check EV System light came on briefly

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 am

First, the search in this forum sucks. It ignores common words like check, EV, and system and you can't put them in quotes to look for the phrase. So I went through 25 pages of results for "light" and don't see this specific issue.

Month old 2016 Soul EV+. Twice now, about a week apart, while driving the check EV warning light has come on briefly while driving. In both cases it didn't come back on after parking and continuing my trip. Anyone else seen this happen? Any reason to be concerned?

I suspect if I take it to the local Kia dealer they'll keep it two days and charge me for an oil change. When I bought the car, they had 16 on the lot and all but one were completely dead because they don't know how they work or care.

Thanks

notfred

Re: Check EV System light came on briefly

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:37 am

That sounds odd, I don't recall anyone posting about having the check EV light come on. I think you need a good dealer who can pull the codes and see if there was anything logged.

JejuSoul

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:18 am

-
Yes, the search buttons on this site are less than desired. Solution as always is to use google.

The first result that pops up there is this one - 2016 Soul EV @ 3rd day: "Check EV System" light on. What the

The second link is to page 3 of the massive charging fault error thread - Charging Fault error.

Can you share a photo of the warning that you saw, or tell if it was similar to the one seen here -
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

SoulEV2016

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Commun problem with EV light displayed :

- overcharged water pump (or fuse blow of pump, bad contact on fuse box)
- BMS fall (cold soldering on connector)
- motor hall sensors fail

So ... a reading of the default when it append is request (don't shutdown the car).
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

JejuSoul

"Check Electric Vehicle System" Error Message

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:52 pm

-
Yes it seems to be a common error. It has different causes and is fixed in different ways. If you see it I suggest going to Kia Service to get the car checked out.
SoulEV2016 - do you have some links for this error on the French Forum.

1. 2016 Soul EV @ 3rd day: "Check EV System" light on. What the
The battery monitoring module was at fault therefore the the blower fan did not start in time.

2. Charging Fault error.
Fixed with new OBC

3. Replacing the Motor in French Cars
Caused by a failed sensor inside the engine that requires a completely new engine to fix.

Searching on the German Forum the only time this error was reported was last week on a Hyundai I oniq Electric
erster Defekt nach 2221 km

I've just been given a quick list of similar problems from the Quebec Forum

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8840565 ... 286040830/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8840565 ... 0995087295

Yellow Triangle and turtle! With more than 85 % of battery

The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

unclfuzzy

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:08 am

No other message popped up in the display like in the photos here, just the triangle warning light. And it hasn't come back on for almost a week. Coming from driving a Tesla for the past four years, I'm a little skeptical of dealing with the service department at a Kia dealer. I may buy a cheap OBD2 scanner on Amazon to have on hand just in case, and bury my head in the sand in the meantime. I was really hoping for a "happens all the time, ignore it" response.

Neel

i am in also same boat ( yellow EV triangle while driving )

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm

hello experts,
i just got my 2016 Soul EV , it has 114000km driven used in Teo taxi , driving since last 5 days , its my first EV so still learning and understanding its system working excellent no issue so far
3 days ago while driving on highway 28 % battery GOM and yellow EV triangle light on , but didn't feel anything in driving but reach home without any issue, i thought because it bellow 30% battery so might be just formal warning, once i reach home put on trickle charger and next day morning was no yellow light , so didn't think on it , today while local driving 44% range on GOM it pop again , i stop and start but light didn't go away , so i reach home didn't put on trickle charge , but just stop and start and light go away , not sure is there any serious issue or diy test and suggestion for fix ?? is this consider main EV system ? fixed under warranty ?
help appriciated , thanks in advance

notfred

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:46 am

I would check the coolant level and if it isn't that then take it to the dealer to find out what it is. If there are problems with the cooling system then you could be risking doing damage by continuing to drive it with the light on.

Neel

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:00 am

notfred wrote:I would check the coolant level and if it isn't that then take it to the dealer to find out what it is. If there are problems with the cooling system then you could be risking doing damage by continuing to drive it with the light on.

thank you for quick response appreciated !! i will check asap , still early morning here ...
also decide to take a part battery blower from trunk to check if any moisture / pitted contact etc ... is it good idea ???
is it same coolant like ICE ? i mean i can buy regular auto part store ?? or soul ev use any specific concentrated ? i am in Toronto , so any suggested brand ?
again thank you !!

Neel

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:10 am

Neel wrote:
notfred wrote:I would check the coolant level and if it isn't that then take it to the dealer to find out what it is. If there are problems with the cooling system then you could be risking doing damage by continuing to drive it with the light on.

thank you for quick response appreciated !! i will check asap , still early morning here ...
also decide to take a part battery blower from trunk to check if any moisture / pitted contact etc ... is it good idea ???
is it same coolant like ICE ? i mean i can buy regular auto part store ?? or soul ev use any specific concentrated ? i am in Toronto , so any suggested brand ?
again thank you !!

** Just check coolant reservoir its actually 1 CM (10 MM) above the MAX level line - seems not coolant issue
i decide to do some TLC - check 12v auxiliary battery its dated july 2017 and in car off position it shows - 12.8 V is it good ??
although i disconnect + terminal and leave it for 20 minute put it back , than i went to have spin 5KM , still no EV system check light came up - so :roll: :roll:
after 3 hours i have to drive 25KM straight street drive not highway lets see if it comes again ....
will update here ...

Return to “Technical Discussions”