OVMS for the Kia Soul EV (to remotely access it without UVO)

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow, that's amazing!!!

Congratulations, that's a huge step!

Can't wait to see that in action.

So (and I know this is jumping the gun), do you think that means there might be a possibility of turning on the HVAC from the OVMS? :)

Hi Geir!

Haven't heard from you in a while. Was just wondering if you've had any luck with the remote lock/unlock going into production code (and maybe remote heating? :)).

Please let us know, thanks!

Rob

Hi guys,

I've been busy with my new baby daughter (will be two weeks old tomorrow), so there haven't been much work on OVMS lately. Also I've had problems with my CAN-reader, so I haven't been able to do any analyzing.
I'm missing the door lock/unlock-status, so I need to find that before I make a new release. The reason is that the APP will only send a lock-command if the doors are unlocked and visa versa.
So, if anyone can help me find the lock/unlock bits, it would be great!

When it comes to heating, I'm am not really optimistic as it seems to be a bit too complicated. But, who knows?

Anyway, I've just reordered the can-reader I'm having problems with, so I hope I will be able to some more digging soon.

Geir

goev said:
Hi guys,

I've been busy with my new baby daughter (will be two weeks old tomorrow), so there haven't been much work on OVMS lately. Also I've had problems with my CAN-reader, so I haven't been able to do any analyzing.
I'm missing the door lock/unlock-status, so I need to find that before I make a new release. The reason is that the APP will only send a lock-command if the doors are unlocked and visa versa.
So, if anyone can help me find the lock/unlock bits, it would be great!

When it comes to heating, I'm am not really optimistic as it seems to be a bit too complicated. But, who knows?

Anyway, I've just reordered the can-reader I'm having problems with, so I hope I will be able to some more digging soon.

Geir

In the Spreadsheet the following is stated in the "C-CAN" tab:

Code:
ID		Byte 0
018		Doors Status Bits

Comment:
If driver door open, byte 0 bit 4 set, but length changes to 2
all doors closed: 00, driver door open: 10; passenger door open: 80, driver+passenger door open: 90"

But I do not know if the door is locked is also reflected in there. But probably you were already aware of these status bits.

Geir,

I'm happy to see that you're still tinkering!

If I had a CAN bus reader, I'd try to sniff the lock/unlock/heat on commands, but unfortunately I don't... Are we sure that those commands are on the bus the OVMS is connected to?

I was completely wrapped up in technical details that I forgot to say congratulations on your baby daughter, Geir!!

I remember when my daughter was that age. She was my life and I wanted to bring her everywhere with me. Enjoy the experience!

zax123 said:
I was completely wrapped up in technical details that I forgot to say congratulations on your baby daughter, Geir!
Me too! Congratulations.

I just had a look at the FastTech site to buy a OVMS module - https://www.fasttech.com/product/1000300
It is 'Temporarily sold out'.

So looked here for an explanation - http://dexters-web.de/ovms-module-v2-end-of-life-text_72.en.htm
Code:
We are currently out of stock of OVMS v2 modules (using SIM908), and trying to arrange a final batch (v2.5) using SIM808 modules. Hopefully this final batch will be available during March 2016 timeframe. OVMS v2 is a 2G system, without WIFI or BLUETOOTH.
Code:
The OVMS v3 production modules should be available sometime during the second half of 2016.
I will wait for OVMS v3.

I see now that the OVMS module is available at Fast tech, but it says v 2. Is this the version 2.5 that Dexter i referring to on his page ?
https://dexters-web.de/ovms-module-v2.5-available-text_74.en.htm

mgrefsrud said:
Is this the version 2.5 that Dexter i referring to on his page ?
Hi mgrefsrud.
I don't have OVMS. Am replying to you because the maintainer of OVMS for the Soul EV isn't around at the moment. See posts above.
I assume the product sold on the fasttech site must be V2.5 because they sold out of v2 and there are no available parts to create any more of that version.
Am not sure if it is worth buying v2.5 until someone can tell us if the current firmware will work in the new box.

Perhaps Dexter is the best person to ask. He just created new firmware for v2.5 for the Twizy - https://dexters-web.de/ovms-module-v2-end-of-life-text_75.en.htm
Code:
NOTE: from this release on the ZIP contains two HEX files, one for hardware V2.0 (SIM908) and one for the new V2.5 (SIM808). Flashing the wrong version does not harm the module, it just won't work as expected.

Thanks for the reply, I did not think of the possibility that the sw did not work with the new hw.
But of course that might be a problem.
I know goev is wrapped up in diapers :D :D :p I hope someone can test the sw with the new hw.

And I was going to buy and install this on my soul now. :(

I'm partly around :)

I believe the change of GSM-module is handled at a lower level, so most likely the Soul-software should work without modifications. No guarantee, though...

Yet anther question:
I think i once saw someone having the OVMS app with a Kia soul pic in it, could this be the case or am i just "seeing" things?

I am reading to prepare to install the OVMS which is on its way. But there ia one thing i do not understand:
Does the Kias Souls fw go as an additional sw on the OVMS module. Meaning i have to first install the OVMS FW and then the Kia Soul sw?
Or is the OVMS FW included in the Kia Souls SW?

As I understand it you just need the one firmware - the latest version is OVMS.KIA-v0.44unofficial.zip
It's linked on a previous page of this thread.
The latest code is version 0.46 but I cant see a binary release for that.

The Kia Soul code was merged into the official firmware on May 20th. - https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/commit/ed4ebb8ce6a20a973d4db8947aa89cc94ee772ce
But there hasn't been an official firmware release since then.

ok, so it's just one upload.
But i think there has been one firmware update lately, because of the new HW.
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/tree/master/vehicle/firmware
the 2.8.6 version should work with the 2.5 HW i am receiving.Which version of the Kias sw is included in the official FW?
And how does the kia sw get updated in the official fw?

mgrefsrud said:
Yet anther question:
I think i once saw someone having the OVMS app with a Kia soul pic in it, could this be the case or am i just "seeing" things?
The Android app with pictures is available on Dexters web: https://dexters-web.de/f/tw/OpenVehicleApp-release-3.11.3.apk

Yes i saw that, i have installed it on my Galaxy Note, but i am using iPhone, and would like to have the right pic there as well.
Does anyone know if it matters which car (pic) one chooses in the app?
My kit is at the post office, so i am picking it up today :D

Back