Setting up Torque to show BMS data

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a photo of an American car displaying the wrongly labelled Energy Consumption figure just like my car.
It should say Energy Economy. The US has a 0 - 4 - 8 scale.
I watched it more carefully today. Driving at a steady speed - energy economy goes up when you go down a hill - and goes down when driving uphill.
On my dial marked 0 - 5 - 10 it was at 5 during my test and went up to 10 when going downhill.
It also goes to 10 whenever I do regen braking.
Energy Consumption as used (and labelled correctly) in Europe is the inverse of this behaviour.
Am curious to know what scale is used in Canada and the UK for this screen.

tumblr_oa5it3KPMD1qc8yzvo1_1280.jpg

And getting back to the original question.
Tom said:
The value I am looking for is easy to calculate with the draw value.
kW/speed*100 =kWh/100km
This is what the BAR in the display shows you (but the bar shows only 0-30-60 kWh/100km).
It isn't easy. The energy draw is a signed value. The energy draw is positive when energy is being taken from the battery and negative when it is going in. This value can be large and negative when doing regen braking. How do we get the formula to work for this.
Assuming we can get the theory right first I hope we can then work out why we cant get this value working in practice.

This is what the US manual is saying (page 126, 4-56):
http://www.kia.ca/content/ownership/ownersmanual/15soulev-en.pdf

Instant energy consumption (2)
This mode displays the instant energy consumption during the last few seconds when the vehicle speed is more than 10 km/h (6.2 MPH).
- Instant energy consumption range : 0.0 ~ 8miles/kwh

My dutch manually is showing a scale of 0 - 5 - 10, actual energy consumption of 0 - 10 kWh/100 km.
So the dutch manual does not reflect my car, because in my car there is the 0 - 30 - 60 scale.
I also checked the german "bedieningsanleiting", there is also the 0 - 5 - 10 scale described.

I did not find yet a user manual which describes the 0 - 30 - 60 scale.....

JejuSoul: This is definitely off topic, but I just couldn't help noticing your console looking different from mine.

Yours:
est30j.jpg

Mine:
2j0ja6a.jpg

On yours it says "Cluster ionizer", on mine it just says "Clean air". I am wondering if you have some sort of extra filter or some function that removes more pollutants from the air. You also have a dial of metal it seems to control the climate control. I have some boring plastic knobs compared to yours :roll:

Interesting, I have a mix of the two. I have the buttons of JejuSoul but the surround of Birkeland in that it says "Clean Air".

I've looked through this thread and can't find an answer to my question; hopefully it isn't redundant.

Is there a PID known for exterior ambient temperature? I think it would be useful to plot this against battery temperature and inlet temperature to determine battery cooling system effectiveness.

mtndrew1 said:
Is there a PID known for exterior ambient temperature?
Yes, it is byte 5 of PID 653. It is one of the PIDs that is always active on the CANBUS. But I don't know how to display this in Torque. All the PID data we are using in Torque is coming from different ECU's after we query them. For example we know how to query the BMS.
Also note the OBD connection is not active when the car is off. It only works when the car is on or charging. You will not be able to graph the battery cooling down when the car is off. What you have to do is actually go out to the car, turn it on and have a look. Perhaps going out once an hour to graph the cooling may be useful. It would be easiest just to write down the numbers in this case. OVMS would be far superior to Torque for this task because it can be controlled remotely.

mtndrew1 said:
I have no prior experience with Torque so I'm not sure how to gather the data for a temperature graph. Does the app have the capability to take snapshots at regular intervals or will I need to do it manually?
You can use the logging function in Torque to collect data automatically for instance once every minute. I recommend collecting the battery temps, the fan data and the SOC. This is only useful for collecting data when charging or driving. The logfile needs to be transferred to a computer and input into Excel. The graphing and analysis of the results is done in Excel.

After two hours of banging my head against my desk trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, it turns out that the .torque folder is HIDDEN by default in the Android file structure. It's very important to enable the viewing of hidden files within the file manager to be able to put the .csv files in the correct location.

JejuSoul, you may want to consider putting that tidbit into the first post to help other people who are novices like me. I nearly gave up on the whole thing.

mtndrew1 said:
After two hours of banging my head against my desk ....
Am glad you persisted and found the problem. I have added that info to the info at the start of this thread.

If anyone would like to use my Torque Pro layout it can be downloaded here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_F1DGHhd8OARFJTRGRodHQ4Rlk/view?usp=sharing

To import into Torque:
Save the file on your device.
Move the file into your ".torque/dashboards/" folder.
Inside the Torque app, go to realtime data and long press - select "Layout Settings".
Select "Import"
Select the file name you wish to import and hit OK.

Hello everyone and thanks for this wonderfull job done to extract informations of the CanBUS in the Kia Soul EV.
I have create a tutorial in FRENCH to centralize the informations : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/kia-soul-ev/torque-pro-android-et-le-kia-soul-ev-t5386.html

I have posted plenty of screens of the torque pro configuration and usefull LOGS of the Kia Soul EV drive experience and a few OBD2 reader to help beginners to choose a product.

qJymrC.jpg

HHHF99.png
-
AgyvBG.gif

mzpLYY.png
-
kugc2R.png

Gnm4qg.png

CSV are here (copy-paste of the first subject and the cells on the followed messages) : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/kia-soul-ev/torque-pro-android-et-le-kia-soul-ev-t5386.html#p64975

DASH are here (personal creation) : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/kia-soul-ev/torque-pro-android-et-le-kia-soul-ev-t5386.html#p64976

BONUS : CHADEMO charge ... in GIF :mrgreen:

VR9Miy.gif

DASH are here (personal creation) : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums ... tml#p64976

when i import your dash layout it jumbles them all on top of each other. is that normal or am i doing something wrong

I don't know ... only the torque pro developper can ask about this. :?

but this result is probably because you don't have activate all tabs on setting (look all the plots on the bottom of the screen).

15 tabs. :twisted:

SoulEV2016 said:
Hello everyone and thanks for this wonderful job done to extract informations of the CanBUS in the Kia Soul EV.
I have create a tutorial in FRENCH to centralize the informations : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/kia-soul-ev/torque-pro-android-et-le-kia-soul-ev-t5386.html
I have posted plenty of screens of the torque pro configuration and useful LOGS of the Kia Soul EV drive experience and a few OBD2 reader to help beginners to choose a product.
SoulEV2016 - lots of interesting data there - and you have created a nice tutorial.
What is the odometer reading on your car? I will add your battery data to the database for the battery ageing model.
Also in the screenshot above the value - 000_Instant Driving Efficiency - is working. (showing a reading that match the equation we have developed so far)
It didn't on my car. Have you changed the equation?

I haven't tried adding different dashboards to my phone. Doesn't this depend on the size of your phone's screen.

No, i don't have changed anything on PIDs.

Code:
000_Instant Driving Efficiency,Fuel Efficiency,2101,ABS(val{000_Battery Power}*val{003_VMCU Real Vehicle speed (km/h)})/100,0,90,kWh/100km,7E4

work good, proof at 90 km/h with regulator = http://imageshack.com/a/img923/4451/SqaABS.png

From the discussions about Energy Consumption we had on the previous pages I would now make these changes to the Instant Driving Efficiency value.

1/ rename the kWh/100km value as Energy Consumption. (The km/kWh value would be Energy Economy.)
2/ remove the ABS = Absolute. When Energy draw is negative the Energy Consumption should also be negative. You are not consuming energy while regen braking, in fact the opposite.
3/ changed slightly to reflect the change in wording of the real speed. ( I removed (km/h) in case either the '(' or the '/' cause problems as control characters)
4/ placed it together with the VMCU codes. I think Energy Consumption is more an aspect of the motor and driving than just about the battery.

The value now becomes - please test and report back.

Code:
003_VMCU Real Vehicle Speed,Real Speed,2101,k,0,180,km/h,7E2
003_VMCU Instant Driving Efficiency,Energy Consumption,2101,val{000_Battery Power}*val{003_VMCU Real Vehicle speed}/100,0,90,kWh/100km,7E2
003_VMCU Instant Driving Efficiency2,Energy Economy,2101,val{003_VMCU Real Vehicle Speed}/val{000_Battery Power},0,90,km/kWh,7E2

km/kWh ... it's a good unit to estimate more precisely, the range ... on an 27kWh battery.
i like that. :)

perhaps a screen with the "km per unit of SOC" is more precisely, too.
like i can drive 1.2 ou 2.8 km per % of SOC (0.5% unit of SOC can be use for more precision in the formula).

or when i want to do a trip for 40km, i can run at 0.5 km per % SOC ... displayed. :mrgreen:
or when i want to drive 120km, i must have more than 1.2 km per % SOC. (120 / 90 = because you can't use the 10% of the battery on top and bottom).

JejuSoul said:
Tom - thanks for the explanation. Yes. It is your scale that should go up as you accelerate.
My scale, marked 0 - 5 - 10 should go down.
Mine shows how many km you can travel for each kWh. It should go down as your efficiency gets less.
I am confused because when I watched this scale the other day it was behaving like yours - going up when I accelerate.

Smile.
Yours does make much more sense then the metric system!
You get ZERO miles/kilometers per kWh if you not drive and maybe only listen to the radio and enjoing your AC.

In Europe you get told that you use 0 kWh/100 Kilometer (depense on the car it could show you 99 kWh/100km) if you stop.
Both is incorrect at all.

As long as we drive, both systems make sense!

JejuSoul said:
The value now becomes - please test and report back.

Code:
003_VMCU Real Vehicle Speed,Real Speed,2101,k,0,180,km/h,7E2
003_VMCU Instant Driving Efficiency,Energy Consumption,2101,val{000_Battery Power}*val{003_VMCU Real Vehicle speed}/100,0,90,kWh/100km,7E2
003_VMCU Instant Driving Efficiency2,Energy Economy,2101,val{003_VMCU Real Vehicle Speed}/val{000_Battery Power},0,90,km/kWh,7E2

available logs (don't modified) here : http://up.sur-la-toile.com/i1hWn (mirror = http://www.4shared.com/zip/RpwFmRukba/torqueLogs-CSV-v2.html )

Chademo charge at 43kW from 70% to 94% inside.

3LqlaG.png
-
fhuAjB.png

OX0HHE.png

Back