Changing headlight bulb

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylety

Hey all! I was glad that the Soul EV came with projector headlights but disappointed that it didn't come with HIDs. Don't want to do a HID conversion b/c it's difficult to avoid glare, but wanted to change out the H7 low beam bulb to a brighter one (Philips X-Treme).

Anyone here with experience on changing the bulb? Manual says to disconnect the connector to the bulb by pulling on it. I've had trouble removing the connector b/c it's well stuck in there & there's a battery/box behind the headlight.

Any tips? Tried to remove the headlights but don't want to remove the front bumper.

-Tyler

No one's tried it?

Two sites I've found info on but still having difficultly removing the connector:

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2012_Kia_Soul_!_2.0L_4_Cyl./lights/highbeam
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Kia-Soul-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/index.html

I have not done it in a Kia but I have changed headlight and tail lights in at least 5 different vehicles for the past 30 years.
It is not difficult.

TAKE YOUR TIME. WIGGLE IT

There should be instructions in the owners manual.

This is a new car, so it shouldn't be stuck due to dirt and grime.
I JUST changed the bulb in my 2002 GMC Yukon XL. DIRTY ! I just had to wiggle it and not force too hard.
It will come out.

Maybe it needs to be twisted to one side to unlatch it.

Sorry, I don't have a soul so I can't say for sure. Just take to 2 suggestions in Caps seriously. And don't get mad at it. Deep breath so you don't get frustrated.

:)

The H7 headlight bulbs can get a bit stuck against the retention springs. It can take strong fingers (or in my case, some help from a spanner) to loosen them.

I just upgraded to a Morimoto HID kit. The upgrade required a "6 o'clock" modification, and a capacitor to filter out the pulsed input signal...easy stuff, though.

I did buy a new set of headlight dust covers on ebay (the originals have to be drilled for the installation) so that I can return the car to stock in about 10 minutes.

I went with 4300k (factory HID color) for maximum lighting, and minimum cheesiness. The projector beam pattern and cutoffs are very clean, and I don't anticipate any problems with other drivers or the law.

According to the car's display, going from the 55W stock halogens to the 35W HIDs saves about 10W during operation (went from a total of about 130W with the halogens, to about 120W with HID).

Avitt,

Congrats on the upgrade; I'm sure it looks great! I don't have the time, skills or patience to do a HID kit. Any tips on removing the original bulb? Did you do anything special besides strength/wiggle? I guess you had nothing to lose using a spanner as you were getting rid of the old kit anyways. I'm afraid of messing up the setup.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the kit.

Removing the bulbs is not too bad. Just takes about a 1/4 counterclockwise twist. One, I was able to do by hand. But the other was sticky, and I think I ended up using a 19mm open-end wrench to apply some leverage...Nothing was damaged.

Just to be abundantly clear, you mean turn counterclockwise the black plastic housing that is connected to the actual unit right? That's the first step that I had issues with... I've only been wiggling or pulling and it didn't come out. I'll try counterclockwise next.

I have leased all my cars (Infinitis) so I have literally never had to work on a car. I haven't even ever had to change tires (I'm spoiled).

Ahhh...yes. The first step is to remove the plastic "dust covers". They get about a 1/8 turn ccw. Turn them until they stop, and then grab the "fins" and pull straight back out. These can be a little tight because of a silicone gasket.

Haha no... luckily, I'm not that useless! I can remove the dust cap -- it's the step after that in pulling the square black piece out of the slot. It sounds like I should turn that CCW too. I'll try it tomorrow.

Avitt, I'm going to try it this weekend. Steps:
1) Remove dust cap (done)
2) Turn CCW to remove the bulb housing from headlight.
3) Remove bulb from the black plastic housing. Any tips on how to remove the bulb? Manual says to press the release but it looks pretty solid.

Thanks!

Avitt,
I am trying to install Morimoto H7 HID kit. I got the wiring all hooked up but am totally puzzled as to how to install the bulb.... Is there a special holder or bracket that is available to put the H7 xenon bulb in place or did you have to do some special mod?
Thanks!

Avitt said:
I just upgraded to a Morimoto HID kit. The upgrade required a "6 o'clock" modification, and a capacitor to filter out the pulsed input signal...easy stuff, though.

NICE! Any pic? How do you like it so far?

This is sonata with HID w/ and w/o the 6 o'clock fix. Does yours look similar? http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-yf-turbo/123175-hid-6-o-clock-bulb-rotation-pictures.html

When I did the bulbs I found it was easier to reach in and get the drivers side low beam out once I loosened the fuse box that sits right behind the light housing. Did not need to unplug anything from the fuse box, just loosened one nut and one bolt and there is a retaining clip on the back of the box, moved it to the side and had plenty of room. yes CCW 1/4 turn, sounds about right. I used a rag and water pump pliers, do not need the grip just leverage.

The bulbs I purchased and a blue tint and was supposed to be 5000k colour, ended up removing them as I felt like there was to much blue and less light. Next attempt will be with HID at 4800k, summer project.

If you have to work with bulbs before, lesson I learned the hard way, spend a little extra and get latex gloves. Put them on from the time you open the package to when you close the new bulb into the housing. Any spot your skin touches the bulb will create a hot spot and cause them to blow early.

Back