JejuSoul

Re: Range from 100% Charge Dropping

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:01 am

JeroenE wrote:If you still have 120-140 in the winter time that is really good., in my opinion My meter said 108 at it's lowest while it said 148 in the summer at it's highest.
Two weeks ago my meter also said 108; it's lowest ever. Yesterday after finishing a 100% charge it said 139. I turned off the car, unplugged the car from the charger but left the cord connected to the car. I turned on the car and the meter said 149. Turned off the car, disconnected the cord, started again and the reading was 139. There is a good reason why this meter is called the Guess-o-meter.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

notfred

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 am

I only got my SoulEV in September and we haven't had any really cold spells this winter with a major El Nino effect here. Worst I've seen in the morning on a full charge is 103km on the GOM. I did talk to one other owner who had his last winter and he said on the worst day his range was 80km. As well as the temperature I run winter tyres on steel rims so will be using more power there - it was noticeably worse fuel efficiency in my old car as well. In September I think I was getting around 140km on the GOM on full charge.

JeroenE

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 pm

JejuSoul wrote:There is a good reason why this meter is called the Guess-o-meter.

Sure, I usually check the state of charge instead of the range display.

DerbyEV

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Let me share my experience about range changes from 100% charge.

In the end of January I've got 119km with 100% charge and it's became a critical point for my daily commuting. Official dealer told me that nothing wrong with my car and this is normal operation of the vehicle.

Ok. I'm driving about 15% of my distance in a city and 85% on highway. I thought what I can do to make the car running longer distance. First of all I've start driving on in "B" mode. Yes, in the city and on a highway. The second I'm accelerating ve-e-ery sloooow, my car is slowest on the road. Sometimes drivers glad to bypass me, sometimes they horn on me. Whatever, I don't care, speed limits are my friends.

And finally I've limited my speed on the highway with 87km/h only (max is 100km/h). Semis are bypassing me, sometimes give a horn, it's nothing after driving in the city.
What is my benefit? In the end of February I have 161km with 100% charge and it's continue growing (but slowly). Energy consumption is vary from 12.2kWh/100km to 13.9kWh/100km.
2016 Soul EV+, Vancouver, BC

jstack6

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:14 pm

We average 5.1 mile per kWh. We drive like we care and have a good 100-120 mile range even with the air cond on and at highway speeds of 55-60. We live in the HOT Phoenix, AZ area.

Adjust the loose nut behind the wheel and you get great range all the time.

kmnblue

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 pm

I have a 2015 Kia Soul EV. I drive the freeway at around 65mph (or higher Im in LA area! :shock: ) and use the highway regularly for my commute.

w/ battery at 100% my car started with 105 Miles

after owning the car for 3 years...

Down to 100% charge giving me 70 Miles (w/ AC Off)

Dropped by approx 10 miles each year.

Always drive my car in ECO mode, but rarely use B. I think the generative breaking is always in play?

At 70 Miles I'm pretty burned out w/ Range Anxiety.

JejuSoul

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 pm

kmnblue wrote:I have a 2015 Kia Soul EV. I drive the freeway at around 65mph (or higher Im in LA area! :shock: ) and use the highway regularly for my commute. ... Down to 100% charge giving me 70 Miles (w/ AC Off).

That's rapid degradation of the battery. Sounds like you will soon qualify for a battery replacement.

How long is your commute? From other threads on this forum it seems that the Soul EV battery does not do well with long commutes at high speed.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

biffidum

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:38 pm

People should do more research before they buy a car. The Kia EV is a perfect car for around town. I'm tired of hearing people complain that they can no longer complete their 70mile commute.... people!! You bought the wrong car! If a highway commute makes up the majority of your driving stick with an ICE or get a Tesla. Your battery WILL deteriorate.

Just look at the car... they didn't even try to make it a highway car. It's a frickin' box..... I think it is a cool box that serves my needs perfectly...and will for years to come.

Don't blame the tool. Blame the operator.
2016 Kia Soul
Eaton 30Amp Power Station charger

mtndrew1

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 am

kmnblue wrote:I have a 2015 Kia Soul EV. I drive the freeway at around 65mph (or higher Im in LA area! :shock: ) and use the highway regularly for my commute.

w/ battery at 100% my car started with 105 Miles

after owning the car for 3 years...

Down to 100% charge giving me 70 Miles (w/ AC Off)

Dropped by approx 10 miles each year.

Always drive my car in ECO mode, but rarely use B. I think the generative breaking is always in play?

At 70 Miles I'm pretty burned out w/ Range Anxiety.

Is this the predicted range (guess-o-meter) on a full charge or the actual amount of miles you're able to physically drive on a charge?

My GOM has generally drifted downward over time but I am still able to drive roughly 1 mile per 1% state of charge at ~4mi/kWh just like when I picked up the car three years ago.

Return to “Technical Discussions”