JejuSoul

Kia EVs will shift from Chademo to CCS next year.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 pm

-
Currently both Kia EVs (Ray and Soul) use Chademo for fast charging.
I expect Kia EVs to change to CCS next year.

In preparation the latest update to the Navi software allows you to filter fast chargers depending on which system your car uses.

The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

nibularr

Re: Kia EVs will shift from Chademo to CCS next year.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:36 am

is there difference in the way they communicate with the car?

what would be the purpose of you getting this update with CHademo only? would they make a Chademo to CCS adapter?

notfred

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Different protocols, CHAdeMO talks CAN over dedicated pins, SAE CCS uses powerline encoding over some of the other pins. I would say almost guaranteed to not see a converter from one to the other because of the different protocols. By the time you have a processor in there and the heavy duty connectors it would be very expensive. All the DC fast chargers around here support both apart from ones at dealerships.

I'm guessing the software is just being lazy and asking the driver to specify which connector the car has to filter the charging stations on the map. Instead it should actually be able to read from the car which version it is equipped with (at least from the VIN, but also likely differences in the BMS software).

nibularr

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 pm

well the good thing is that the new leaf is sticking with Chademo so hopefully it sticks with new installs of stations

dubluv

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 am

i just bought a 2017 so i hope chademo continues to be rolled out in new stations. hoping that new fast charging stations have both, especially since the new Leaf will almost surely have chademo, as it has up til now.
Steve
Blue Point, NY
2017 EV+ Tornade black & red

Booper

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Does CCS have an advantage of some sort over Chademo?

notfred

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Only need one (slightly larger) port for level 1/2/3 AC and DC charging with CCS, rather than 1 for AC level1/2 and a separate CHAdeMO for DC level 3.

Return to “General / Main Kia Soul EV Owners Forum”