JejuSoul

Re: Safest method of opening charging door that is stuck

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Previous topics about this for the Niss*n Le*f. - CHARGER PORT DOOR NEEDS WEATHER BARRIER and Charge Port Cover

Best ideas.

1/ 12V hair dryer
2/ de-icing spray
3/ buying a weather proof cover (photos 1 and 2) or making your own (photos 3 and 4)

The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

slobodanc

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:51 am

Wow this door design is terrible in winter.
We had snow almost every day this week.
Every single time the snow and slush fills the groove around the door. And even while it is not solid (temp is around freezing) but more slushy melting snow, it is still enough to block it.

I found a plastic tool from a kids toy in the shape of screw driver with the small tip around 2-3 mm
I use this tip to push out snow from the groove without making any scratches. I find that while snow is melting and/or soft, it works well and door can be opened fairly easily after cleaning the groove.

However from time to time we get freezing rain. Also at colder temps like -10 and -20 C it may be more difficult. Not to mention having to do fiddle with this little tool while wearing gloves.

Ugh

Amazon has a 12V hair dryer/defroster and I have a spare 12V battery so I may have to get it, not sure.
The car's 180W port is just enough to handle this defroster.

nibularr

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:42 pm

do people drive around with these flapping in the wind?

as far as the door.. has anyone tried tying on a small string or strap that slips out the front kind of like those battery pullers so you can pull the door out?

slobodanc

Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:29 am

Oh wow great idea.

Although it would have to be fairly thin to fit and not interfere with the door closing.
Still should work great.
We have the 1st weather forecast for freezing rain tonight :(
Will try this out for sure.

thanks

LJDurga

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:20 am

My charging door was frozen shut a few days ago. When it warmed a bit, it opened but now it won't stay closed. I don't see any ice build up and can't figure out why it won't stay shut. Any ideas?

SoulEV2016

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:29 am

ice is located in the rubber.
but you can have a mecanical lock froozed, too ...

Kia Plug Door have 3 locks (1 at right and 2 on the left).
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

stephanelam

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:43 am

Is anyone still having issues with this? I have a 2018, and throughout the winter I had gotten used to having to clear out ice, slush and snow before closing the door, and usually having a 2 man operation to open the door (my wife pressing on the button, while I punch the door to loosen it from the seal). However, now that the ugly weather is nearly gone, I'm still experiencing these issues and the charge door almost never opens on its own. Anyone have a solution to this, or have talked to their dealership about this? We are due for our first service soon and will be bringing this up, but I wanted to see what other people's experiences were as well.

Return to “Technical Discussions”