Cobberprof

Re: Need help with this decision, please?

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 am

Indeed, in Canada we get the Battery Heater as standard equipment. On the other hand, the Heat Pump is only available on the "Luxury" trim which includes the a number of other extras over the Base model.

I'm sure that's why this one has it - it's the + model (US version of luxury trim, I believe). Maybe we should have checked Winnipeg for any of these cars...that's only 3 hours from here...

CanadianLurker

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:22 am

JejuSoul wrote:
Cobberprof wrote:... AZ and CA vehicles are not equipped for our frozen tundra,...

Yes. I think your winter is probably like Quebec. Here's what you will see on cold mornings, if the battery heater hasn't been working.

Current Temp - 19C but the nighttime minimum was -23C. The battery is still -22C.
Range down to 67km. A warning message - "low battery temperature, limited power"

Perhaps if you have a heated garage this will never happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------
-

Does the Battery Heater only operate while plugged in? Or does it also operate while driving?

Otherwise, with no Battery Heater does being plugged in and charging serve as an alternative way to keeping the battery warm? Probably wouldn't help as much as a proper battery heater but would being plugged in at work help the OP to keep the battery at least a little warmer than if it was parked unplugged?
2018 Titanium Silver Luxury + Sunroof
Toronto, CANADA

CanadianLurker

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 am

Cobberprof wrote:
Indeed, in Canada we get the Battery Heater as standard equipment. On the other hand, the Heat Pump is only available on the "Luxury" trim which includes the a number of other extras over the Base model.

I'm sure that's why this one has it - it's the + model (US version of luxury trim, I believe). Maybe we should have checked Winnipeg for any of these cars...that's only 3 hours from here...

Yes, looking for one up here in Canada might be an option to consider too if you can find a Luxury trim version available. Not sure how that would work with your tax credits. The Luxury MSRP is about $39,000 CAD$ before Deliver & PDI fees which puts you around $30,000 US$. Used ones are very scarce.

The nail in the coffin though may be that none of the Prairie Provinces are Authorized EV Dealers. As such, you'll be looking at either Thunder Bay in Ontario, Windsor Ontario, or Kelowna BC as your closest dealers. Only marginally better for you than going to New York!
2018 Titanium Silver Luxury + Sunroof
Toronto, CANADA

JejuSoul

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:49 am

Cobberprof wrote:I'm guessing this car has never even been driven to it's full range, since it doesn't even have 100 miles on it. So this might be a dumb question...but how do you drive it to the full range without getting stranded somewhere? Is there any major (and reliable) signal that goes off when the car is imminently in need of charging? I could drive it around our block when it gets to that point, I suppose... :lol:

We asked them to knock another $2000 off. After the rebate, this car would cost us $14,500, still has 8 years on the powertrain and EV system and three years on the rest. We wouldn't want to use it on the really cold days in January...but for the other 11 months of the year, maybe it's worth the risk? We'll also have the ability to charge it with off-peak rates, so that helps with its overall cost also. It's still a gamble and we'll be annoyed with ourselves when we have to live without it while it has warranty work done in NY...but maybe we'll love it enough that it will be worth it?

It seems you have thought more about this purchase than anyone else has ever done before.
It really is a great car, and given that you are going to use it in a way that avoids any problems in bitterly cold weather I think it will work for you.

To see a range test of the Soul EV done by a EV Pro I recommend -

mtndrew1 wrote:My car was the subject of Tony Williams' Soul EV range test posted on InsideEVs.com in October 2014. http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-range- ... 100-miles/

https://youtu.be/AR3NCObaPW0

-
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

biffidum

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:14 am

Your commute is a perfect length for the Soul. Don’t sweat the battery heater. You will lose some range but it will come back in the summer.

The only repair you will likely need to do is the OBC (on-board battery charger). It is covered under warranty and they can shuttle it away for repair... that is pretty much all that is likely to go wrong. The battery has a massive warranty on it.

Just know that your commute should not be at 70mph.... that will kill it. 60mph is ok

Also, get the delearship to put normal high quality tires on it. The EV factory tires are a POS that will get you killed, all in an effort to get 5 miles more range. NOT worth it. We even run winter tires which drop the range another 5miles, but still totally worth it.

We average 80km (Canada) a day of use and have 53,000km on ours. Three days a week are highway commutes. No indication the battery has changed. 15year warranty for that anyway.

You will love the car.
2016 Kia Soul
Eaton 30Amp Power Station charger
52,000kms and counting

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”