Air conditioning not working when car is not moving?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberGandalf

Hey, does anyone notice the Air Conditioning stopping working when the car is stopped in traffic or waiting on a parking lot? I am talking about the cooling capability here (in Texas...). The fan is still working but it feels like the compressor stops operating after a minute or two.
Any idea?

A/C work at 1,6kW when you are in ECO Mode (and car is ON = High voltage circuit ON).
A/C work at 2,3kW when ECO mode is disabled.

I eat usually in car with all windows closed and A/C activate.
No problem (and i do this all the year).

You can not hear the compressor ... it's impossible.
the process is variable and not ON/OFF like in ICE car with magnetic clutch on accessory belt (A/C compressor).

mdIBTr.png

After the heat pumper is charged, the A/C consume 1,4kW in ECO mode or not ... same result.
The ventilation in ECO mode is not the same when you disable the ECO mode.

So, when you travel a light trip in ECO mode, the A/C don't work at full power.
I don't use ECO mode.

I always drive without it.

Thanks SoulEV2016

SoulEV2016 said:
I eat usually in car with all windows closed and A/C activate.
No problem (and i do this all the year).

So I really have a problem, because it gets CRAZY hot in this car as soon as I stop at a red light or in traffic for more than a minute. I will investigate a bit more and report.

SoulEV2016 said:
the process is variable and not ON/OFF like in ICE car with magnetic clutch on accessory belt (A/C compressor).

I do hear some noise that seems to be associated with a compressor. Very noticeable when the car is stopped but I turn the AC on. Sounds like light tapping noise. I agree that it is variable in frequency. But then it slows down and stops and the air circulating seems like it's not cooled anymore... Maybe that noise is not normal and is a symptom of my problem ?

Thanks

I have no trouble with the A/C performance whether stopped or moving (Edit: even in 115 degree weather and whether or not Eco is engaged). It sounds to me like your 12V cooling fan is disconnected or defective and when the vehicle stops moving, air stops flowing through the condenser in the front of the vehicle. I had this problem in a Honda once with the exact same symptoms; the fan was never plugged in at the factory for whatever reason.

mtndrew1 said:
It sounds to me like your 12V cooling fan is disconnected or defective and when the vehicle stops moving, air stops flowing through the condenser in the front of the vehicle.
Thanks for the suggestion. The fan moving air in inside the vehicle is working fine. Is there a different fan to move air around the compressor / evaporator?

UberGandalf said:
mtndrew1 said:
It sounds to me like your 12V cooling fan is disconnected or defective and when the vehicle stops moving, air stops flowing through the condenser in the front of the vehicle.
Thanks for the suggestion. The fan moving air in inside the vehicle is working fine. Is there a different fan to move air around the compressor / evaporator?

Yes, there is a condenser core (looks like a thin radiator) at the front of the vehicle that allows the A/C refrigerant to be chilled. When the vehicle is moving, the air naturally pushing through the lower grille in the bumper chills the refrigerant as the compressor pushes it through the system. When stopped, an electric fan comes on and pulls air through this condenser core because there is no natural airflow.

If the refrigerant is being chilled while at speed but not while stopped, it would seem plausible that the fan intended to pull air through the core while stopped isn't working properly for whatever reason.

The a/c condenser core is sandwiched in front of the radiator, and the radiator fan pulls air through them both. Since the radiator cools the charging and control unit components, a malfunctioning fan could cause serious problems.

SoulEV2016 said:

While the compressor is variable it can certainly be heard when working hard enough. I experience 110 degree F+ temps (43 C) relatively regularly and the Soul's A/C compressor makes a mild buzzing noise with an accompanying vibration through the pedals and steering wheel when it's operating in these circumstances.

Ok that makes sense. I tried it again this afternoon. With the car on, but not moving (park position), the interior fan keeps working but the compressor only works for about 30s (and I get cool air), then turns off for about 2 minutes (and I get air that gets more and more warm and moist), then the compressor kicks in again for 15s and again and again. I know the compressor cycles on and off because 1- I can hear the noise of the evaporator and 2- I can see the current moving back and forth in the 'Climate' section of the 'Electrical Consumption' screen from 0kW to about 2.0-2.4kW.
Clearly temperature in the car is WELL above the 68F target temp and probably around 85 to 90F depending on the timing in the cycle above.

UberGandalf said:
Anyone got a pic of where that fan and associated connector would be?

As tractioninc said this could potentially be more than just an inconvenient problem; insufficient cooling performance due to a broken fan could cause extensive damage to the powertrain and electronics.

I would take this straight to the dealer and have them document and repair it under warranty. If you've been cooking your electronics for a few days due to a defective fan it might be valuable to have that on paper in the event that future issues crop up.

Thanks. I am hopeful that the powertrain and other electronics would have an overtemp protection (just like the compressor seem to have one if this theory is correct)...
BTW it's not been a few days but a few months that this is been going on. Actually since we got the car in May... Would really help if anyone would have a pic of where this is. Don't want to take 1/2 off work to take the car in if this is not the issue.

UberGandalf said:
the interior fan keeps working but the compressor only works for about 30s (and I get cool air), then turns off for about 2 minutes (and I get air that gets more and more warm and moist), then the compressor kicks in again for 15s and again and again.

that's not a strategy from my A/C.

i have a strong ventilation (same A/C consumption = 2,4 kW) at the start of the engine (with not planned temperature), and then, after 30s-1min, the ventilation decrease but the air is always cold.

2,4kW = strong ventilation = start engine
1,8kW = mid ventilation = 2 minute after the start
1,4-1,6kW = low ventilation = driving situation

From the outside, i can hear the Fan from the front bumper that it cool the charger and the evaporator of A/C circuit (planned temperature for example).

The car emit a noise like a fridge (no ON/OFF system like an ICE car).

---

You must read the HVAC thread and contact your dealer to check the HVAC regulation circuit (sensor, ventilation, pump, water solenoid circuit).
http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=609

if it is, it's just the air conditioning circuit that is empty ... (bad day at the factory). :mrgreen:
This situation is the same than you describe : A/C is ON but a little or no cooling air, ventilation work normally, noise from relay to start and stop the pump system (no pressure, problem).

SoulEV2016 said:
The car emit a noise like a fridge (no ON/OFF system like an ICE car).

My A/C compressor cycles all the time on the Soul EV, and has on other cars I've had with electric compressors (2004 Prius, 2x Chevy Volts). It certainly has a lower threshold wherein the car has reached its target temperature and it cycles between 0.0 kW and a low value (0.18 kW in my case). I can confirm this at low fan speeds when parked by hearing the system turn on and off (evaporator core noise/compressor noise).

very strange, my A/C is always variable.
Look this, it's a fast food and phone stop with closed windows and A/C.

Consumption is ... stable.

START CAR with no planned temperature, ECO mode is disabled :
KHmDkX.png

STOP with this stable consumption of A/C :
TCaqHn.png

Complet LOGs of this (ODS format - Libreoffice) : http://up.sur-la-toile.com/i1i02 ( mirror = http://www.4shared.com/file/ZdFJAAc8ce/air-conditionning-at-fast-food.html )

My car uses nearly 1.1 kW at a stop (powered on, in Drive) with the climate control completely off.

Just because the car is always using power doesn't mean the A/C isn't cycling. It looks like your example only covers a window of two minutes' time.

In my car, when I start it with the A/C set to auto and 75 degrees F (24 C) it will start at about 0.5 kW of continuous draw for maybe five minutes. Once the car has hit the target interior temperature it drops to 0.18 kW for maybe a minute, then cycles between 0.0 kW and 0.18 kW of A/C draw (as viewed on the center display screen and corroborated on Torque Pro).

What temperature do you have your climate control set to? If you set the temperature low the compressor will remain on even at low fan speeds.

UberGandalf said:
Anyone got a pic of where that fan and associated connector would be?

I would be surprised if anyone had a pic of this, but the fan would be just behind the condenser and radiator and those are located just aft of the front bumper assembly (you can see the front side of them by peering through the lower part of the bumper). If you were to take off the plastic decorative pieces in the engine compartment you could probably look down at the fan which is likely housed in its own shroud.

http://carbuzzard.com/2014/09/2015-kia-soul-first-drive-review-hamsters-on-tiptoes/olympus-digital-camera-1596/

mtndrew1 said:
1) It looks like your example only covers a window of two minutes' time.

2) What temperature do you have your climate control set to? If you set the temperature low the compressor will remain on even at low fan speeds.

1) that's why you have the complet logs on the bottom of the message. ;)

2) 22°C (exterior is from 31°C to 36°C when i use the A/C).

3) Bumper fan is ON when you have planned temperature.
In drive, it's ON when you have A/C (not me ... :lol: i always have a disabled front fan when i drive) or MCU rise 50°C (yes, it's me :mrgreen: ).

rlJDtH.png

Well, i drive fast ... it's true. :twisted:

SoulEV2016 said:
mtndrew1 said:
1) It looks like your example only covers a window of two minutes' time.

1) that's why you have the complet logs on the bottom of the message. ;)

Okay, I downloaded and reformatted the information to see all the logs but I see no example of how you're determining that your A/C isn't cycling. Torque, as far as I can tell, doesn't specifically list A/C compressor power demand and I don't see it listed anywhere in the spreadsheet (though maybe something was lost on the way to Excel?). How much power does your car use in the same circumstances when the HVAC is set to OFF?

In any event, my car's A/C absolutely does cycle and my compressor is absolutely audible. My three other vehicles with electric A/C behaved the same way.

a electric car parked with 0 RPM (at motor) and 0 KM/H (at the wheel) ... only the A/C drain the battery (battery power column) -and my GPS is OFF-

It's simple. :mrgreen:

It's electric. ;)

What year is your car (the soul ev) ?

Back