Any Soul EV owners using Juicebox EVSE?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayhawk

Just purchased the Juicebox EVSE (base model) and am looking forward to level 2 charging at home. I installed the RV outlet in my garage yesterday (saved $300 doing this myself) so all I will need to do when the Juicebox arrives is install the mount and plug it in.

Are any other Soul EV owners using this EVSE? If so, what has been your experience so far?

I've done almost exactly what you plan:

I purchased the base Juicebox kit, with a few extras (current sensor, wireless remote, lcd display, 10 ft. input cable, mounting bracket) and assembled it myself.

My garage was wired for 240V using 8 guage wire, so I installed a 14-50R receptacle, and I used the remote on the Juicebox to set the maximum input current to 32A.

I've been using it for about 2 months now, and am completely satisfied. When the Soul is charging, the Juicebox draws about 30-31 Amps from the wall...I've checked it often, and it barely gets warm to the touch.

I predict that you'll be happy!

Avitt said:
I've done almost exactly what you plan:

I purchased the base Juicebox kit, with a few extras (current sensor, wireless remote, lcd display, 10 ft. input cable, mounting bracket) and assembled it myself.

My garage was wired for 240V using 8 guage wire, so I installed a 14-50R receptacle, and I used the remote on the Juicebox to set the maximum input current to 32A.

I've been using it for about 2 months now, and am completely satisfied. When the Soul is charging, the Juicebox draws about 30-31 Amps from the wall...I've checked it often, and it barely gets warm to the touch.

I predict that you'll be happy!

Thanks for this info! I wonder if mine will come pre-configured for 32 amps, or if I will need to do something in the box since I did not order the remote. I sent them an email asking about it.

grayhawk said:
Thanks for this info! I wonder if mine will come pre-configured for 32 amps, or if I will need to do something in the box since I did not order the remote. I sent them an email asking about it.

If you ordered it with a 40 Amp J1772 cable, I will guess that they set up the box for max 30 or 32 amps. I'm sure they'll respond to your email...

Avitt said:
grayhawk said:

If you ordered it with a 40 Amp J1772 cable, I will guess that they set up the box for max 30 or 32 amps. I'm sure they'll respond to your email...

Dorian said that it defaults to 30A current draw limit. It can be changed by turning the trimpot to R20. I am guessing that this is a small dial on the PCB?

Yup. If you download the kit assembly instructions pdf from their site, it will should show you the right POT. Your problem will be determining the current. You'll need a clamp-on ammeter, or something.

Dorian replied with the following:

The Kia Soul EV has a 6.6kW charge system - meaning it will charge at a maximum of (6600W/240V) 27.5 A on 240V. This will of course change with loaded voltage of your supply."

So the most it will use is 27.5 amps using the 240V plug?

grayhawk said:
Dorian replied with the following:

The Kia Soul EV has a 6.6kW charge system - meaning it will charge at a maximum of (6600W/240V) 27.5 A on 240V. This will of course change with loaded voltage of your supply."

So the most it will use is 27.5 amps using the 240V plug?

6.6kW is how much power the charger provides to the battery. But that involved an AC to DC conversion, which is not 100% efficient. (You'll know this when you hear the Soul EV's fan kick on randomly while charging, to cool off some of the heat generated by the conversion process.)

I'm assuming that the current meter in my Juicebox is at least relatively accurate, and it's showing that the charger in the Soul operates at about 85-90% efficiency (averages about 87%). This means that if the charger is assumed to be providing 6.6 kW continuously to the battery, the EVSE is providing ~7.3 to ~7.7 kW to the car. At 240V, this equates to about 30 to 32 Amps from the wall.

This is about what I see on the display of the Juicebox: It hovers around 7.3-7.5 kW, and 30-31 Amps.

(Again, all of this is dependent on the assumed accuracy of the Juicebox's current meter. I haven't verified it with other equipment.)

Bottom line is that you'll be fine with a 30A limit.

Thanks for the confirmation that the Soul is capable of pulling close to the full 32A@240V / 7.7 kW from the wall (if the Juicebox readout is accurate).

Kia sure seems to under advertise this thing. Nissan advertises what the car pulls from the wall while Kia advertises what actually makes it to the battery. The car certainly charges quickly.

I have been using a Juicebox EVSE charger with my Soul EV for several weeks now. It seems to charge about as fast as the level 2 ChargePoint charging station where I work. I happened to have an un-used 240 dryer outlet in the garage, so no need to install an outlet. It did pop the 40 amp circuit breaker a couple of times about 2/3 through the charge. I turned the R20 trimpot on the Juicebox PCB back (counter clockwise) a bit and so far so good. The house is old, so I considered replacing the breaker but we are renters, so adjusted the Juicebox instead.

Finally received the Juicebox yesterday, installed it this morning and everything is working well. The instructions that came with it said that it's pre-configured for 30A operation, and I just left it there. Sarah from emotorwerks had asked me to let them know if the scheduled charging built into the Soul worked with the Juicebox and I am happy to report that it does. Of course, those who already have it know this, but wanted to let those know who may be thinking of purchasing the Juicebox.

You did the right thing in turning the current adjust down a bit. Unless you are sure that the 40 amp breaker is faulty don't bother replacing it. NEVER ! ! ! replace a breaker with one of a higher capacity especially in an older house. The breaker is almost certainly matched to the current capacity of the wires serving it. Putting in a higher capacity breaker without changing the wires is a very good way to collect on your fire insurance so long as the insurance company does not find out what you have done. A REAL NO NO! ! !
Be safe, Nat

wbruce3 said:
I have been using a Juicebox EVSE charger with my Soul EV for several weeks now. It seems to charge about as fast as the level 2 ChargePoint charging station where I work. I happened to have an un-used 240 dryer outlet in the garage, so no need to install an outlet. It did pop the 40 amp circuit breaker a couple of times about 2/3 through the charge. I turned the R20 trimpot on the Juicebox PCB back (counter clockwise) a bit and so far so good. The house is old, so I considered replacing the breaker but we are renters, so adjusted the Juicebox instead.

I think you should check your circuit and wiring. I have my Juicebox set to 32 Amp max, and I've never seen it draw more than 31A (usually 30). If you're popping a 40 Amp breaker, it sounds like something's wrong.

I also have a Juice Box and it runs great. I use the Time Of Day feature which is very handy. I also have the remote and have moved the amps down in the HOT summer to keep the fans and cooling from kicking in. It is very flexible unlike any other EVSE I could find.

I've also seen the car pull up to 7.2 kW since I have a 40 amp outlet and set the Juice box to 35 amps just to see how much it could pull on the SOUL EV. I have lots of time so I normally set it at 25 amps and can see the setting and amp draw on the display.

Juice Box is the best unit on the market. I've also had Blink , Aeroviroments and others.

Back